Bi5580c General Ecotoxicology - practical course
Faculty of Science
Autumn 2010 - only for the accreditation
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/1/0. 1 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- prof. RNDr. Luděk Bláha, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Kateřina Nováková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Veronika Mlčáková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- prof. RNDr. Ivan Holoubek, CSc.
Research Centre for Toxic Compounds in the Environment (RECETOX) - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Luděk Bláha, Ph.D.
- Prerequisites (v češtině)
- NOW ( Bi5580 General Ecotoxicology )
- Course Enrollment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- This course (seminar) supports the lectures Bi5580 General Ecotoxicology. At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- conduct practical specific ecotoxicity bioassays
- use the bioassays for ecotoxicity assessment of chemical
- seek and work with toxicological information and interpret the data (individual project, database search)
- understand and interprete a set of ecotoxicological methods (practical exercises in RECETOX laboratories)
- 1. Principles of ecotoxicology - relation with environmental chemistry, studies of fate and effects of chemicals, risk assessment. 2. Evaluation, analyses and interpretation of toxicology data, toxicity of chemicals and chemical mixtures. 3. Examples of real experimental results (scientific papers from environmental chemistry and ecotoxicology), demonstrations and discussions on ecotoxicological methods. 4. Basic principles of reading and usage of scientific papers, preparation of students lecture of model scientific paper. Presentation of results to other students. 5. Preparation of an assay, which should extend the students ability of self thinking about environmental problems. Themes covering both well known environmental problems are provided for discussion and assays. 6. Excursion to research institution. Presentation of recent sofisticated instruments, their applications and possibilities in ecotoxicology. Illustration of simple experiments (cytotoxicity, dioxin-like toxicity), data analysis, protocol preparation.
- CALOW, P. Handbook of Ecotoxicology Vol. I and II. London, U.K.: Blackwell Scientific publications, 1993. info
- Teaching methods
- Practical exercises (3 independent tasks - biotests), independent project (database search, data analysis and interpretation, report preparation), presentations in laboratories (advanced ecotoxicity assays).
- Assessment methods
- Finishing and submitting their individual project, finalization and presentation of the protocols from experimental exercises, participation in laboratory presentations.
- Language in which the course is taught
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information
The course is also listed under the following terms
Autumn 2007 - for the purpose of the accreditation
Autumn 2011 - acreditation