Bi0077 English for Plant Biologists
Faculty of Science
Autumn 2011 - acreditation
The information about the term Autumn 2011 - acreditation is not made public
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/0. 1 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. Ing. Miloš Barták, CSc. (lecturer)
- prof. Ing. Miloš Barták, CSc.
Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: Naděžda Bílá
- NOW ( Bi0077c English for Plant Biol. - pr. )
Basic knowledge in English
- Course Enrollment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 30 student(s).
Current registration and enrollment status: enrolled: 0/30, only registered: 0/30, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/30
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 17 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The course is assigned for students of biology who want to improve
their knowledge of English. The main aim is to enlarge biologically-
related vocabulary, improve students ability to speak about and discuss
professional (biological) topics. Last but not least the course
should prepare students of biology to present results at an international
scientific conference, workshop etc.
(1)English terminology related to cell, tissues, organelles, cell cycle
(2)English terminology related to subcellular level
(3)Vocabulary related to plant organs, growth and development
(4)Vocabulary related to physiological processes
(5)Terminology related to vegetation science, ecology, environmental
issues, global changes, toxic compounds, conservation of nature
(6)Laboratory works, essays, handling with samples, chemicals, analyses,
testing hypotheses, measuring instruments
(7)Field works, expeditions, field plots, taking samples, vegetation zones,
plant determination, storage of plant samples
(8)Scientific data processing, scientific graphs, statistics
(9)Principals of oral presentation at an international conference
(10)How to write abstract
(11)How to survive an international conference(opening address,
ice-breaking party, panel discussion, poster presentation,
(12)The last topic is facultative. It is specified according
to students demands.
- A dictionary of plant sciences. Edited by Michael Allaby. Rev. ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006. 510 s. ISBN 0-19-860891-8. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures with a high proportion of interactive and computer aided learning. Teaching methods combine powerpoint presentations and a variety of methods testing professional vocabulary, knowledge of grammar, phrases, ability to use English in typical professional situations.
- Assessment methods
- Self assesment methods. Evaluation of the success rate several tests differing in their difficulty and complexity.
- Language in which the course is taught
- Further comments (probably available only v češtině)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information
- Studenti, sledujte rubriku: "Výukové materiály"
Je průběžně aktualizována a materiály jsou dostupné v období běžného semestru.
Students, please follow the Information system, especialz "Study materials". Lecteres are presented there and available throughout the whole semester.
The course is also listed under the following terms
Autumn 2007 - for the purpose of the accreditation
Autumn 2010 - only for the accreditation