FI:IA014 Func.Programming - Course Information
IA014 Functional ProgrammingFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 3/0. 3 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: k (colloquium), z (credit).
- RNDr. Libor Škarvada (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Mojmír Křetínský, CSc.
Department of Computer Science - Faculty of Informatics
Contact Person: RNDr. Libor Škarvada
- Thu 16:00–18:50 B011
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! I014 Func.Programming
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Applied Informatics (programme FI, N-AP)
- Informatics (programme FI, M-IN)
- Informatics (programme FI, N-IN)
- Upper Secondary School Teacher Training in Informatics (programme FI, M-IN)
- Upper Secondary School Teacher Training in Informatics (programme FI, M-SS)
- Upper Secondary School Teacher Training in Informatics (programme FI, M-TV)
- Upper Secondary School Teacher Training in Informatics (programme FI, N-SS)
- Course objectives
- The course surveys the main results in functional programming. Functional languages are viewed as various modifications and enhancements of common mathematical calculi. The course is also partly devoted to the implementation of interpreters and compilers, and to the optimization issues.
- Untyped and typed lambda calculi. Strong normalization, Church-Rosser property.
- Recursive definitions. The Fixpoint Theorem.
- PCF and its semantics.
- Types, typing. Parametric polymorphism, impredicative type systems. Typing in predicative type systems.
- Subtyping, dependent types, Pure Type Systems.
- Imperative features, input/output, exceptions, nondeterminism, destructible arrays, state. Continuations.
- Monads. Monadic data type for I/O. Monadic parser combinators.
- Implementation of functional languages. Translation of definitions by patterns, guarded clauses, list comprehensions.
- Graph reduction, G-machine. Supercombinators, lambda lifting.
- Optimal reduction, full laziness, fully lazy lambda lifting.
- FIELD, Anthony J. and Peter G. HARRISON. Functional programming. 1st ed. Wokingham: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1988. 602 s. ISBN 0-201-19249-7. info
- JONES, Simon L. Peyton. The implementation of functional programming languages. New York: Prentice Hall, 1987. xvi, 445 s. ISBN 0-13-453325-9. info
- Assessment methods (in Czech)
- Kurs je ukončen závěrečnou písemnou zkouškou.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.