FSpS:e024 Basketball - Course Information
e024 BasketballFaculty of Sports Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Tomáš Vencúrik, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Tomáš Vencúrik, Ph.D.
Department of Sports - Faculty of Sports Studies
Contact Person: Mgr. Andrea Kakulidu
Supplier department: Department of Sports - Faculty of Sports Studies
- The necessary prerequisite is a prior completion of the beginner’s level of basketball skills. The course is not meant for basketball beginners. Further prerequisite is the knowledge of the basic game rules in basketball.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/20, only registered: 2/20
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Multidisciplinary studies (programme FSpS, KOS)
- Multidisciplinary studies at Faculty of Sport Studies (programme CST, KOS)
- Course objectives
- The objective is to instill and enhance appropriate practice in single player game activities and basic team-based game combinations. The students will learn offense game activities following the methodological sequence (shooting, getting open without ball, getting open with ball standing and on the move, passing, rebound ) and basic defensive game activities - basic defensive stance and movement, player covering with and without ball, defensive rebound, defensive player activities in power play). The students will further learn to execute basic game combinations.
- The students will be able to:
- Control ball
- Use individual-based game activities based on the methodological sequence
- Choose an appropriate defensive strategy based on a particular game situation
- Recognize basic game combinations and the essentials of power play situation
- WOOTTEN, Joe. Coaching basketball successfully. Edited by Morgan Wootten. 3rd ed. Champaign, Ill.: Human Kinetics, 2013. xi, 291. ISBN 9780736083720. info
- PAYE, Burrall and Patrick PAYE. Youth basketball drills. 2nd ed. Champaign, Ill.: Human Kinetics, 2013. xxii, 345. ISBN 9781450432191. info
- WISSEL, Hal. Basketball : steps to success. 3rd ed. Champaign, Ill.: Human Kinetics, 2012. xii, 355. ISBN 9781450414883. info
- SHOWALTER, Don. Coaching youth basketball. 5th ed. Champaign, Ill.: Human Kinetics, 2012. xii, 252. ISBN 1450419720. info
- KRAUSE, Jerry, Don MEYER and Jerry MEYER. Basketball skills & drills. 3rd ed. Champaign, Ill.: Human Kinetics, 2008. xv, 255. ISBN 9780736067072. info
- Coaching basketball technical and tactical skills. Edited by Kathy McGee. Champaign, Ill.: Human Kinetics, 2007. v, 263. ISBN 9780736047050. info
- OLIVER, Dean. Basketball on paper : rules and tools for performance analysis. 1st ed. Washington, D.C.: Brassey's, Inc., 2004. xvi, 376. ISBN 9781574886887. info
- Teaching methods
- Seminar in practicing single player game activities and team-based game combinations. Self-study of the game rules for further understanding of the game and study of basketball characteristics from the given literary sources.
- Assessment methods
- 1. One of the credit requirements is attendance. Students may miss two classes during the semester. Absence from more than two classes must be compensated.
2. To successfully pass the final practical test of basketball skills. Description of the test is:
Practical test from single player game activities and team-based game combinations.
The students will be tested in:
Dribbling and lay up – including getting open with ball; change of hand and direction while dribbling; dribbling between cones; rebound after lay up.
Pair passing with a shot.
All the relevant rules must be followed and the game activities properly executed. Scoring is not assessed, but the shooting must be properly executed and the ball must touch the rim.
Game situation 3 on 3 – the offensive players start with only passing the ball on their half of the court and continue according to the game rules, including dribbling, on the offensive halfcourt and attempt to score. If they score the players‘ roles change - the deffensive players become offensive and start by throwing the ball in from the baseline. In case the offensive team do not score, the game continue until they score or the defensive team get the ball (e.g., in defensive rebound). In this case the roles of the teams change without a throw-in from the baseline.
The game situation must be conducted without rules violation and properly executed both offensively and defensively with the emphasis on single player game activities.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fsps/autumn2020/e024