FSS:BSSn4493 Strategy Development - Course Information
BSSn4493 Strategy DevelopmentFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- doc. Ing. Josef Procházka, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Tomáš Lalkovič (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Ing. Josef Procházka, Ph.D.
Department of Political Science - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Mgr. Lucie Pospíšilová
Supplier department: Division of Security and Strategic Studies - Department of Political Science - Faculty of Social Studies
- Tue 18:00–19:40 U42
- Precondition for successful studies is the knowledge of crises management principles, strategic analysis methodology and security system functioning.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 18/20, only registered: 0/20, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/20
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Security and Strategic Studies (programme FSS, N-PL)
- Course objectives
- This course is intended as a comprehensive overview of the security and defence strategy elaboration. Main objective of the course is to explain contemporary approaches (theoretical framework and best practise) to security and defence strategy formulation and develop basic skills for strategy elaboration.
- Learning outcomes
- Students should be able to assess internal and external environment, in which state and instruments of its power provide security and defence. They should be able to propose effective solutions to its security challenges in form of security and defence strategy while apllying contemporary theoretical framework and best practices.
- 1. Strategy Development - An Introduction 2. Process of Strategy Formulation 3. Strategic Analysis - methods of environment and security and defence organisations assessment 4. End state formulation (vision, mission, objectives) 5. Identification of the ways for the end state fulfilment 6. Assessment of resource implications 7. Implementation framework (risks, communication) 8.- 11. Case study - Elaboration of security strategy
- Teaching methods
- The course takes the form of both lectures and practical exercises. There are explained basic thesis of strategy development within lectures, which are applied during the elaboration of case study - Security Strategy in practical exercises.
- Assessment methods
- Students will receive a final letter grade (A-F) for the semester based on the following components: written reports - case study "Security Strategy"(max. 30 points), written exam - multiple choice (max. 30 points). Grading: 56-60: A; 51-55: B; 46-50: C; 41-45: D; 36-40 E; 35-0: F.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/autumn2021/BSSn4493