FSS:CDSn4101 Far Right and Left - Course Information
CDSn4101 Far Right and Left PartiesFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 7 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. PhDr. Věra Stojarová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Otto Eibl, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Karin Kőváry Sólymos (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jiří Němec (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Věra Stojarová, Ph.D.
Department of Political Science - Faculty of Social Studies
Supplier department: Department of Political Science - Faculty of Social Studies
- Mon 12:00–13:40 AVC
- The course is designed for graduate students of CDS.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Conflict and Democracy Studies (programme FSS, N-CDS)
- Conflict and Democracy Studies (Eng.) (programme FSS, N-PL)
- Multidisciplinary studies at Faculty of Social Studies (programme CST, KOS)
- Course objectives
- The course focuses on the European far right and left parties. The module offers an understanding of far right and left party families in Europe, definition, identification, explanatory models, coherent conceptual and empirical framework to study party families.
- Learning outcomes
- student will be able to state main concepts of far right and far left parties and describe the main holders of contemporary far right and far left parties.
- Course structure: 1. Introduction into the module. 2. LECTURE: Conceptualisation of far right and far left. Terminology. 3. LECTURE: Far Right: Case study France FN 4. LECTURE: Far Right in Austria (FPO, BZO) 5. LECTURE: Scandinavian: Swedish democrats SD 6. LECTURE: Case study Central Europe: Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic. 7. LECTURE: Far Right: Balkans. 8. Mid-term test 9. LECTURE: Overview of European far left. 10. LECTURE: The German Far Left: a success story. Literature: (42 pp) 11. LECTURE: Far Left: French and Italian radical left: failure? 12. Far Left in Eastern Europe: 13. Pre-term test
- required literature
- CHIOCCHETTI, Paolo. The radical left party family in Western Europe, 1989-2015. First published. London: Routledge, Taylor & Francis group, 2017. xviii, 235. ISBN 9781138656185. info
- recommended literature
- MUDDE, Cas. The far right today. First published. Cambridge: Polity, 2019. ix, 205. ISBN 9781509536849. info
- MUDDE, Cas and Cristóbal ROVIRA KALTWASSER. Populism : a very short introduction. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2017. 20 nečís. ISBN 9780190234874. info
- Political extremism. Edited by Cas Mudde. 1st publ. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage, 2014. xxix, 317. ISBN 9781446255940. info
- MUDDE, Cas. The ideology of the extreme right. 1st pub. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2000. xii, 212. ISBN 0719057930. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures, class discussion, seminars
- Assessment methods
- 1) Presentation and leading further discussion (10 points, therefore 10 %) 2) Paper (20 points, therefore 20 %) 3) Oral exam via zoom(63 points, therefore 70 % )
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/spring2021/CDSn4101