FSS:PSYb2530 Interview and Observation in P - Course Information
PSYb2530 Interview and Observation in PsychologyFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
Taught partially online.
- Mgr. Jan Širůček, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Jan Širůček, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology - Faculty of Social Studies
Supplier department: Department of Psychology - Faculty of Social Studies
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- PSYb2530/01: Fri 9. 10. 8:00–11:40 P22, Fri 23. 10. 8:00–11:40 P22, Fri 6. 11. 8:00–11:40 P22, Fri 20. 11. 8:00–11:40 P22, Fri 4. 12. 8:00–11:40 P22, Fri 18. 12. 8:00–11:40 P22, Fri 8. 1. 8:00–11:40 P22
PSYb2530/02: Fri 16. 10. 8:00–11:40 U35, Fri 30. 10. 8:00–11:40 U35, Fri 13. 11. 8:00–11:40 U35, Fri 27. 11. 8:00–11:40 U35, Fri 11. 12. 8:00–11:40 U35, Fri 15. 1. 8:00–11:40 U35
PSYb2530/03: Fri 9. 10. 12:00–15:40 U53, Fri 23. 10. 12:00–15:40 U53, Fri 6. 11. 12:00–15:40 U53, Fri 20. 11. 12:00–15:40 U53, Fri 4. 12. 12:00–15:40 U53, Fri 18. 12. 12:00–15:40 U53, Fri 8. 1. 12:00–15:40 U53
PSYb2530/04: Fri 16. 10. 12:00–15:40 U53, Fri 30. 10. 12:00–15:40 U53, Fri 13. 11. 12:00–15:40 U53, Fri 27. 11. 12:00–15:40 U53, Fri 11. 12. 12:00–15:40 U53, Fri 15. 1. 12:00–15:40 U53
- ! PSY253 Interview and Observation in Psychology && ( SEMESTR ( 5 ) || SEMESTR ( 6 ) || SEMESTR ( 7 ))
Basic knowledge of the methodology of psychological research is necessary for successful completion of the course.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The course is aimed at gaining the practical skills of conducting interviews and observing as tools for acquiring psychological knowledge. During the whole semester, practical interviews are trained using videos, direct interactions and hypothetical problem solving. Attention is paid to the current paradigms of qualitative and quantitative research and methods processing the data obtained with interviewing and observational methods.
- Learning outcomes
- After successful completion of the course, the student will be able to: - plan the exploration interview framework and implement it - appropriately applicate interviewing facilitation techniques - to deal with the ethical challenges of exploratory interviews - record and analyze the data obtained by the interview - provide a constructive feedback on the use of interviewing methods - schedule the observation scheme and use it to record the selected phenomenon - analyze the data thus obtained and interpret the findings
- Topics of teaching through individual seminars: 1. Interview and observation as a source of information acquisition: ethical aspects, interviewer and observer requirements, strengths and weaknesses of interviewing and observation as basic methods used in psychology, sources of bias using the interview method and observation in research 2. Methodology of conducting interviews: types and use of interview in psychology, phases of interviewing, principles of question generation and sorting, interviewing technique - asking questions and types of questions in conversation, forms of interview recording, processing and interpretation of acquired information 3. Observation: creation of the observation scheme, criteria for observation evaluation, forms of observation record, data processing and analysis, observation in the context of qualitative and qualitative approach 4. Technical solution for interview recording and observation 5. Introspection and self-reflection
- required literature
- ARKSEY, Hilary and Peter KNIGHT. Interviewing for social scientists : an introductory resource with examples. 1st pub. London: SAGE Publications, 1999. xii, 208. ISBN 0761958703. info
- recommended literature
- Berman, P.S., Shopland, S. N. (2005). Interviewing and Diagnostic Exercises For Clinical and Counseling Skills Building. New Jersey
- Rubin, H., Rubin, I. (2005). Qualitative interviewing: the art of hearing data. Sage.
- Teaching methods
- Seminars, practical exercises in pairs and in groups, video training interaction, written feedback.
- Assessment methods
- 352/5000 During the semester the learner takes a video of his own interview, elaborates detailed feedback on a colleague's video and presents his abridged form at a seminar - these tasks are rated as fulfilled / unfulfilled. To the exam, the student prepares a critical analysis of a study based on observation and defends it. The exam is classified.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/autumn2020/PSYb2530