FSS:SPRb1119 Qualitative Research - Course Information
SPRb1119 Qualitative ResearchFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- Mgr. Ladislav Otava, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Ladislav Otava, Ph.D.
Department of Social Policy and Social Work - Faculty of Social Studies
Supplier department: Department of Social Policy and Social Work - Faculty of Social Studies
- Wed 8:00–9:40 P24a
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Social Work (programme FSS, B-HE)
- Social Work (programme FSS, B-HS)
- Social Work (programme FSS, B-KS)
- Social Work (programme FSS, B-MS)
- Social Work (programme FSS, B-PL)
- Social Work (programme FSS, B-PS)
- Social Work (programme FSS, B-SO)
- Social Work (programme FSS, B-SP) (2)
- Social Work (programme FSS, B-SPR) (6)
- Public and Social Policy and Human Resources (programme FSS, B-VSPLZ) (5)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to introduce students to the problematics of qualitative research, to provide them with a basic orientation in terms, concepts and facts that can be used in this specific area of social work, special attention is paid to the methodology applied in social work research, the ability to analyze the problem, their presentation and discussion.
- Learning outcomes
- Students will gain knowledge of terms, concepts and facts of qualitative research. Students will acquire the skill of structured presentation of knowledge.
- The course is implemented in the form of self-study, lectures of students and the teacher on the topics of the course. Attendance records will be kept electronically using the student's smart card.
- required literature
- HENDL, Jan. Kvalitativní výzkum : základní teorie, metody a aplikace. 2., aktualiz. vyd. Praha: Portál, 2008. 407 s. ISBN 9788073674854. info
- CORBIN, Juliet M. and Anselm L. STRAUSS. Basics of qualitative research : techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory. Fourth edition. Los Angeles: SAGE, 2015. xviii, 431. ISBN 9781412997461. info
- DISMAN, Miroslav. Jak se vyrábí sociologická znalost : příručka pro uživatele. 4. nezměněné vydání. Praha: Univerzita Karlova v Praze, nakladatelství Karolinum, 2011. 372 stran. ISBN 9788024619668. URL info
- recommended literature
- FLICK, Uwe. An introduction to qualitative research. 5th ed. Los Angeles: Sage, 2014. xxvii, 587. ISBN 9781446267790. info
- Teaching methods
- Expertise: written answer to a question according to the assignment. The scope of the expertise is set at 3000 ±300 words, submission to the IS MUNI by the deadline indicated at the relevant component of the Submission Office, using the form from the IS MUNI. Presentation: oral presentation of the expertise. The expected length of the presentation is 20 minutes with 10 slides, submission to IS MUNI no later than the Monday preceding the lecture. The presentation must be logged in the MUNI IS Exam Dates application. Registration for the presentation takes place in IS MUNI. Lecture: oral presentation of a free topic. The expected length of the lecture is 20 minutes with 10 slides, submission to IS MUNI no later than the day of the lecture. The lecture must be registered for at IS MUNI.
- Assessment methods
- The evaluation is based on the continuous fulfilment of the conditions and the final presentation of the expertise: (i) 1 point for expertise: teacher's and commentator's/commentator's positive evaluation of the expertise and its presentation - mandatory part, without this point no other points will be counted; ii) 1 point for quality: teacher's and commentator's overall excellent evaluation of the expertise and its presentation by the teacher and commentator; iii) 1 point for attendance: attendance at a minimum of 60% of the class - elective; iv) 1 point for activity: active participation during lectures - optional part; v) 1 point for lecture: teacher's positive evaluation of a lecture on an open topic - optional part. Scoring: 5 points ≡ A, 4 points ≡ B, 3 points ≡ C, 2 points ≡ D, 1 point ≡ E, 0 points ≡ F.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/autumn2022/SPRb1119