PrF:MV853K Ombudsman Legal Clinic - Course Information
MV853K Ombudsman Legal ClinicFaculty of Law
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/1. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Mgr. Eva Vávrová (lecturer)
- Mgr. Eva Vávrová
Department of Administrative Studies and Administrative Law - Faculty of Law
Contact Person: Alice Dvořáková
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- MV853K/01: Mon 28. 2. to Fri 20. 5. each even Wednesday 16:40–18:10 038, E. Vávrová
In order to be eligible for enrollment, students are required to submit letters of motivation, in which they clarify their interest in the subject. Subsequent interviews shall be held if necessary. Successful candidates may enroll for the subject. Please send the letter of motivation until 31. 1. 2011 to Mgr. Vavrova´s address (firstname.lastname@example.org, or the University e-mail). Preceding practical knowledge and experience with some of the issues of the subject is preferred (e.g. practice with a NGO´s, law office etc.)
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 8 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/8, only registered: 0/8
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Law (programme PrF, M-PPV)
- Course objectives
- The course is focused on practical application of the relevant law with view to current issues dealt with by the Public Defender of Rights (Ombudsman). Apart from the necessary summary of theoretical background, the whole course is practice-oriented. In the course of seminars (practical exercises), students will be given a unique opportunity to learn and experience the ombudsman´s methods of handling the submissions in particular cases. The course aims further to promote and apply a complex and multi-disciplinary approach, so that students learn to understand the interrelation and cohesion of individual sectoral laws of the branch of administrative law, and simultaneously to respect legal principles and their vital role in the application of law. At the end of the course, students shall be able to assess the ombudsman´s competence with respect to individual complaints. They shall be able to orientate themselves in individual cases from the view of public law, to determine which legal regulations and provisions are relevant for the particular cause and which administrative body or bodies are competent to solve the given matter. Despite considerable extensiveness and technical nature of the public law provisions, students should pay due respect and attention to fundamental principles. They shall be able to draw up the Defender´s investigation report as an encompassing document comprising description of facts and consequent well-reasoned legal evaluation of the administrative bodies´ course of action, with reference to the relevant case-law, and including the proposal of remedies. Moreover, students shall adopt sense of responsibility in application of law in the real life.
- 1. Opening Lesson – Methods of the Ombudsman´s Practice 2. I. Issue: Constructions and the Environment: Territorial plans – how to influence them and how to oppose them 3. I. Issue: Constructions and the Environment: (Dis)advantages of an unauthorized developer 4. I. Issue: Constructions and the Environment: Cooperation of administrative bodies in environmental protection (tree felling and the landscape protection) 5. II. Issue: Noise (transport, music displays) 6. III. Issue: Public Roads (disputes over access to real property) 7. III. Issue: Public Roads (road-blocks) 8. IV. Issue: Right to Information: Access to information and its copying 9. IV: Issue: Right to Information: Information on results of proceedings 10. IV. Issue: Right to Information: Protection of Privacy 11. V. Issue: Consumer Protection: Demonstration events, sales promotion trips 12. V. Issue: Consumer Protection: Unfair contract terms
- required literature
- HENDRYCH, Dušan. Správní právo. Obecná část. 5. rozšíř. vyd. Praha: C.H.BECK, 2003. 793 pp. ISBN 80-717-9671-9. info
- Zákon o Veřejném ochránci práv : komentář. Edited by Vladimír Sládeček. 1. vyd. Praha: C.H. Beck, 2000. xxxii, 135. ISBN 8071794457. info
- recommended literature
- Souhrnné zprávy ochránce 2006 - 2009
- Veřejné cesty - sborník stanovisek, dostupný na www.ochrance.cz
- MOTEJL, Otakar, Karel ČERNÍN, Kateřina VALACHOVÁ and Pavel KOUKAL. Hluková zátěž (Protection Against Noise Polution). Brno: Kancelář veřejného ochránce práv, 2009. p. 32-35, 4 pp. Sborník stanovisek veřejného ochránce práv. ISBN 978-80-7357-499-4. URL info
- ŠABATOVÁ, Anna. Ombudsman a lidská práva. Vyd. 1. V Brně: Doplněk, 2008. 198 s. ISBN 9788072392292. info
- Principy dobré správy : sborník příspěvků přednesených na pracovní konferenci : Kongresový sál Kanceláře veřejného ochránce práv, Brno, 22. března 2006. Edited by Dana Hrabcová. 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita pro Kancelář veřejného ochránce práv, 2006. 265 s. ISBN 8021040017. info
- Teaching methods
- - 1 in 2 weeks – theoretical seminar employing case reports of the ombudsman (enhancing the basic theoretical knowledge received at PrF). Practical training in the Public Defender of Rights´ office will follow as an integral part of the course – this will start after the third seminar and will take place throughout the whole academic year in relation to the current issue dealt with in the seminars (incl. drafting reports for particular cases, case-law and legislation analysis, eventually presence at the ombudsman´s on-the spot inquiry). Extent of practical training for each student is scheduled for 80-120 hours per year. This training is counted in the total extent of the required practice (PrF).
- Assessment methods
- The course will be completed on the basis of colloquium. Requirements: Obligatory presence at seminars and practical training; written submissions in accordance with the teacher´s assignment (e.g. draft of investigation report).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.