MVV227K The Inter-American System of Human Rights: Law, Functioning and Compliance

Faculty of Law
Spring 2017
Extent and Intensity
0/1/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
José Casado (lecturer), doc. JUDr. Ing. Michal Radvan, Ph.D. (deputy)
doc. JUDr. Ing. Michal Radvan, Ph.D.
Faculty of Law
Contact Person: Mgr. Věra Redrupová, B.A.
Supplier department: Faculty of Law
Timetable of Seminar Groups
MVV227K/01: Tue 18. 4. 11:10–12:40 025, Wed 19. 4. 16:40–18:10 025, Thu 20. 4. 16:40–18:10 025, Mon 24. 4. 8:00–9:30 025, Tue 25. 4. 8:00–9:30 025, Wed 26. 4. 8:00–9:30 025
Course Enrolment Limitations
The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.

The capacity limit for the course is 30 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 19/30, only registered: 0/30
Fields of study the course is directly associated with
there are 37 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
Course objectives
Once completed, students should be able to:
1) understand the legal and institutional structure of the system, as well as its regular functioning—practice and procedure;
2) work with the main areas of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights (I/A Court)’ case-law;
3) develop assessments based on acquired knowledge of the compliance rates of the I/A Court’s decisions by member states;
4) learn about how the Inter-American human rights legal standards have been applied in the Dominican constitutional order, as well as the institutional clashes that these systemic interactions have generated;
5) compare the Inter-American and European systems of human rights, as well as the Czech and Dominican constitutional adjudication processes.
  • Day 1: Course introduction. Origins, structure and functioning.
  • Day 2: An overview of the individual complaint/precautionary measures procedures.
  • Day 3: Main features of the I/A Court’s case law: forced disappearances, indigenous peoples’ rights, and freedom of expression
  • Day 4: New trends of the I/A Court’s case law: environmental protection, LGBTQ + women rights, in vitro fertilization.
  • Day 5: Rates of compliance of the I/A Court’s decisions: état de l’art, controversies, and the Dominican case study.
  • Day 6: Future of the I/A System of Human Rights. Concluding remarks.
  • See Teacher’s Information for full details
Teaching methods
lectures, discussion
Assessment methods
The final grade will be calculated as follows: i) a reaction paper accounted for sixty five percent (65%) of your grade; and ii) class participation equivalent to the remaining thirty five percent (35%).
Language of instruction
Further comments (probably available only v češtině)
The course is taught only once.

  • Enrolment Statistics (recent)
  • Permalink:

Go to top | Current date and time: 17. 3. 2018 23:02, Week 11 (odd)

Contact: istech(zavináč/atsign)fi(tečka/dot)muni(tečka/dot)cz, Office for Studies, access rights administrators, is-technicians, e-technicians, IT support | Use of cookies | Více o Informačním systému