LF:VSLT012 Basic Med. Terminology - Course Information
VSLT012 Basic Medical TerminologyFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/5. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Marie Malá, Ph.D. (seminar tutor), doc. PhDr. Elena Marečková, CSc. (deputy)
doc. PhDr. Elena Marečková, CSc. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Kateřina Pořízková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor), doc. PhDr. Elena Marečková, CSc. (deputy)
PhDr. Hana Reichová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
PhDr. Marta Severová (seminar tutor), doc. PhDr. Elena Marečková, CSc. (deputy)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Elena Marečková, CSc.
Language Centre, Faculty of Medicine Division - Language Centre
Contact Person: doc. PhDr. Elena Marečková, CSc.
- Basic knowledge of Latin will facilitate the study of the subject and may be regarded as a useful component of the educational outfit of students when entering the faculty, though it is no obligatory prerequisite for the acquisition of the university subject matter in the introductory phase.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Aim of tuition:
1. Acquisition of terminological competence, i.e., the ability to use with precision and linguistic correctness Greek-Latin terminological material both orally and in writing. 2. Acquisition of basic orientation in the general theoretical problems of medical terminology.
General characteristics of the subject: Greek-Latin medical terminology is one of the relevant means for acquisition of the target knowledge of medical students. The tuition is of both theoretic and practical character, conceived as a preparatory course sui generis, introducing the students into the study of medicine by means of its language.
The content of tuition is, like the set of knowledge postulated in the examination, exclusively determined by the needs of the discipline and medical practice. In the first place it provides such knowledge of Latin and/or Greek as enables the student to master quickly and purposefully the semantic aspect of terms, their grammatical form, and word-forming structure. Simultaneously it provides systematic instruction to independent solution of current terminological problems consisting in understanding of the technical content of the terms and in the formation of medical terms. Besides this it opens a view of the wider historical and linguistic fundamentals of medical terminology as well as its general theoretical contexts.
- Assessment methods (in Czech)
- Výuka probíhá formou semináře a cvičení. Seminář je ukončen zkouškou (zk) po dvou semestrech studia, cvičení končí zápočtem (z) po prvním i druhém semestru.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Information on completion of the course: Absolventi klasických gymnázií, kteří prokážou vynikající průběžné znalosti předmětu, mohou na základě rozhodnutí vyučujícího složit zkoušku v předtermínu a jsou pak od další povinné výuky osvobozeni.
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: seminář 1, cvičení 1.