LF:VSBI0121c Biology I-pract. - Course Information
VSBI0121c Biology I - practiceFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/3/1. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- prof. Ing. Petr Dvořák, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Michaela Bosáková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Květoslava Brožinová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Kateřina Cetkovská, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Lenka Hejmalová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Hana Hříbková (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Žaneta Konečná, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
prof. MUDr. Marie Kopecká, CSc. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Miriama Krutá, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Dr. Sergiy Kyrylenko (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Lenka Micenková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Helena Pětrošová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Vladimír Rotrekl, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
doc. MUDr. Iva Slaninová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Barbora Štaudová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Tereza Váňová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Kateřina Vopěnková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jan Vrbský, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Marie Zobaníková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Eva Skalová (assistant)
Mgr. Martina Vráblíková (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. Ing. Petr Dvořák, CSc.
Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: Mgr. Kateřina Vopěnková, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- VSBI0121c/01: Thu 13:10–15:40 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/02: Thu 13:10–15:40 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/03: Tue 7:30–10:00 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/04: Tue 7:30–10:00 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/05: Mon 11:30–14:00 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/06: Mon 14:20–16:50 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/07: Tue 10:20–12:50 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/08: Tue 10:20–12:50 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/09: Wed 14:10–16:40 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/10: Wed 14:10–16:40 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/11: Fri 7:30–10:00 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/12: Fri 7:30–10:00 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/13: Wed 11:30–14:00 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/14: Wed 11:30–14:00 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/15: Tue 13:00–15:30 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/16: Tue 13:00–15:30 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/17: Mon 11:30–14:00 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/18: Mon 14:20–16:50 B07/205a
VSBI0121c/30: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VSBI0121c/31: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VSBI0121c/32: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VSBI0121c/33: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VSBI0121c/34: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VSBI0121c/35: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VSBI0121c/36: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VSBI0121c/37: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VSBI0121c/38: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VSBI0121c/39: No timetable has been entered into IS.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The course provides an overview of the current knowledge of molecular biology and cell biology in the context of other theoretical branches of the Faculty of Medicine. Recent and modern concepts of molecular cell structures, functional organization of the cell and gene expression and regulation are presented to students. In addition, molecular mechanisms of cell division and cell cycle are discussed. The subject matter presented in this course will help to better understand other subjects including physiology, pathology and human and clinical genetics.
- Week 1: 17.9.-21.9. 2012 Practicals: Biology - instructions. Non-cellular organisms and infectious agents. Week 2: 24.9.-28.9. 2012 Practicals: Prokaryotic cells and their medical significance Week 3: 1.10.-5.10. 2012 Practicals: Microscopic observation of eukaryotic cells Week 4: 8.10.-12.10. 2012 Practicals: In vitro cultivation methods of human cells – implication for medical research Week 5: 15.10.-19.10. 2012 Practicals: Plasma membrane – osmosis, cell fusion Week 6: 22.10.-26.10. 2012 Practicals: Principles of electron microscopy and cellular ultrastructure Week 7: 29.10.-2.11. 2012 Practicals: Structure and replication of DNA. 1st control test (knowledge of the weeks 1 to 6 - practical, lectures, seminars) Week 8: 5.11.-9.11. 2012 Practicals: Transcription and translation Week 9: 12.11.-16.11. 2012 Practicals: Cell cycle - methods of studying Week 10: 19.11.-23.11. 2012 Practicals: Mitosis observation under light microscope Week 11: 26.11.-30.11. 2012 Practicals: Biological significance of meiosis – gametogenesis Week 12: 3.12.-7.12. 2012 Practicals: Human karyotype and chromosomal abnormalities Week 13: 10.12.-14.12. 2012 Practicals: Genetic disorders – autosomal inheritance. 2nd control test (knowledge of the weeks 7 to 12 - practicals, lectures, seminars) Week 14: 17.12.-21.12. 2012 Practicals: Substitution practicals. Re-sit control tests. Credit tests. Credits.
- Aktuální protokoly k praktickým cvičením jsou dostupné pouze v elektronické podobě na stránkách informačního systému MU (ISu): Studijní materiály předmětu VSBI0121c
- Actual protocols for practicals are provided only in their electronic form in the Information System of Masaryk University (www.is.muni.cz): Study Materials for VSBI0121c
- Teaching methods
- laboratory practice, class discussion
- Assessment methods
- Lessons are mandatory. Individual protocols have to be downloaded from IS and printed in advance. Credit is given under following circumstances: successfully passed 2 control tests during the semester, all protocols checked (also for missed lessons due to absence), 1 absence is allowed. For any additional absence(s) student is required to write an essay in the length of 2 pages on a given topic. In case of 3 absences, or more but excused absences (i.e. confirmed by the Office for Studies and included to the Information System) it is addressed individually and credit is given only after the proof of the student's knowledge of the whole term topics (Credit test). In case of 4 or more unexcused absences credit is not given.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.