PdF:DGC005 Applied Geography - Course Information
DGC005 Applied GeographyFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 10 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- RNDr. Hana Svobodová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PaedDr. Eduard Hofmann, CSc.
Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Kateřina Brabcová
Supplier department: Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
- Graduation in partial geographic dosciplines.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Geography Education (programme PdF, D-DIGE) (2)
- Course objectives
- The subject is conceived as a follow-up course for students who successfully completed the teaching of partial (analytical) physical and human geographic disciplines during the bachelor and master study. The aim of the course is to teach students to effectively apply geographic knowledge and skills in solving problems and problems of practical life. Students will be introduced to the term of the purposeful evaluation of the territory, issues of positive and negative search, landscape and spatial planning, use of simple and more complicated tools of multidisciplinary search and evaluation applicable to schools of all levels. Basic inquiry procedures in an urbanized or rural environment will be presented. Learning outcomes will help students formulate attractive lessons in their future workplaces and present them as important knowledge for the needs of everyday life.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course the student will be able to:
- Apply geographic knowledge and skills on specific examples of the solution of a selected planning and designing task in the landscape,
- use publicly available data and processing technologies to address specific issues,
- interpret results using cartographic methods and GIS methods,
- transform the problem to education in elementary school.
- 1. Area assessment for specific purposes.
- 2. Search and exclusion studies.
- 3. Operative, short and long-term decision-making processes.
- 4. Search, poll, evaluation and planning procedures.
- required literature
- WEATHERLY, David, Nicholas SHEEHAN and Rebecca KITCHEN. Geographical enquiry. First edition. Glasgow: Collins, 2015. 128 stran. ISBN 9780007411160. info
- not specified
- KUBEŠ, Jan. Vybrané postupy krajinného plánování. České Budějovice: Jihočeká univerzita, 1997, 248 s.
- Katie Oost, Bregje De Vries & Joop A. Van der Schee (2011) Enquiry-driven fieldwork as a rich and powerful teaching strategy – school practices in secondary geography education in the Netherlands, International Research in Geographical and Environmental
- THOMSEN, Charles E. and Robert W. CHRISTOPHERSON. Applied physical geography : geosystems in the laboratory. 8th ed. Boston: Prentice Hall, 2012. ix, 309. ISBN 9780321732149. info
- Applied geography : a world perspective. Edited by Antoine S. Bailly - Lay James Gibson. Boston, Mass.: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004. vi, 320. ISBN 140202441X. info
- Applied geography : principles and practice : an introduction to useful in physical, environmental and human geography. Edited by Michael Pacione. 1st pub. London: Routledge, 1999. xxvii, 632. ISBN 041521419X. info
- Teaching methods
- Lecture, seminar, independent work of the student.
- Assessment methods
- Completed research study, written test.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/autumn2021/DGC005