PdF:SZ6045 Theory and Practice of Teachin - Course Information
SZ6045 Theory and Practice of TeachingFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/1/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. PaedDr. Hana Horká, CSc. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Jana Kratochvílová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PaedDr. Hana Horká, CSc.
Department of Education - Faculty of Education
Supplier department: Department of Education - Faculty of Education
- Fri 28. 2. 10:00–12:50 učebna 35, Fri 3. 4. 10:00–12:50 učebna 35
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! NOWANY ( SZ6043 Theory and Practice of School , SZ6044 Theory and Practice of Curriculum , SZ6643 Theory and Practice of School , SZ6644 , SZ6645 Theory and Practice of Teaching )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 15 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 8/15, only registered: 0/15, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/15
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 22 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The course introduces the problematics of the educational process, it describes the theoretical basis of the process and leads to its quality evaluation. It introduces the basic concepts of the theory of teaching and enables their application on description, analysis and evaluation of the teaching process.
- Learning outcomes
- After completing this course the student is able to: • use examples to identify, characterize and explain with comprehension selected criteria of quality of teaching and justify their relevance to everyday work of teachers; • propose a framework preparation for instruction of a chosen topic or thematic unit of study and apply it in practice, preparation of teaching chosen topic; • describe and critically evaluate communication and interaction of student teacher with pupils; • characterize and critically evaluate teaching methods and organizational forms, which they observed from a teacher educator or tried themselves during their teaching practice. If necessary, they propose suitable alterations; • considering the objective of instruction they provide an adequate way of pupil assessment; • explain with comprehension the objectives and evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of international comparative research.
- Outline: 1.-2. Actors and processes of instruction. Contents: teacher and pupil in classroom interaction, quality and efficiency of instruction, organization of educational process, feedback in teaching. Outcomes: using selected video material of a lesson (from the Virtual classroom accessible at www.rvp.cz) students apply their knowledge and skills in an analysis of teaching process and evaluate its quality and efficiency. 3.-4. Teacher's preparation for instruction. Content: The objectives of education, motivating pupils, relationship of teaching and learning, psychological-didactic transformation. Outcomes: Based on a critical evaluation of their own preparation for teaching, students will (a) assess accuracy of the formation of cognitive, affective and psychomotor objectives, (b) classify learning objectives and teaching tasks according to levels of Bloom's taxonomy of cognitive objectives, (c) critically assess the demandingness of learning objectives according to real abilities of pupils, (d) prepare working conditions and environment for disadvantaged as well as gifted pupils. 5.-6. Classroom organization and classroom management. Contents: organization and management of the class in terms of coping with the behaviour of individuals and groups (Behaviour Management), a suitable climate for the support, development and learning of pupils (Classroom Management), organizational forms of teaching, management of interactions, activities, time and choice of suitable physical environment that supports pupils' learning (Classroom Organization), strategies to support positive classroom climate, setting rules when working with a group of pupils, specific role of a class teacher in classroom organization and classroom management. Outcomes: Students (a) will describe benefits of respecting approach and supporting communication on examples from thein own teaching practice, (b) will propose various ways of creating and maintaining a positive classroom climate, (c) on particular examples will apply appropriate strategies of pupils' disruptive behaviour and the ways how to cope with it. 7.-8. Teaching methods. Contents: Teaching methods in teaching and learning, classification of teaching methods, choosing teaching methods, methods related to the content of the curriculum. Outcomes: Students (a) will name and describe teaching methods, (b) on an example of a particular teaching material will critically examine and verify suitability of chosen method in terms of pupil's learning style, teacher´s teaching style and necessity of a didactic transformation of a content. 9.-10. Pupil assessment. Contents: Formative and summative assessment, normative and criteria evaluation, autonomous and heteronomous evaluation and validity of the assessment, competences, strategy of acquisition of key competencies. Outcomes: Students (a) use appropriate diagnostic methods and tools with regard to their strengths and weaknesses; (b) apply their knowledge and skills when suggesting methods of evaluating particular lessons / learning activities; (d) set the objective of instruction and adequate way of evaluating the level of its achievement. 11.-12. Testing pupils: International comparative studies. Contents: test tasks, international comparative studies, TIMSS, PISA, TALIS, PIAAC, SIALS, strategy for preparation of pupils to develop 21st century skills Outcomes: Students (a) analyse and evaluate test tasks occurring in international comparative studies; (b) with the support of test questions appearing in international comparative studies they draw their own design of tasks that would verify the knowledge and skills tested in PISA and TIMSS; (c) based on practical experience, students acquire their own teaching strategies and methods suitable for development pupils' skills for the 21st century.
- required literature
- Pasch, M. (2005). Od vzdělávacího programu k vyučovací hodině. Praha: Portál.
- KRATOCHVÍLOVÁ, Jana. Systém hodnocení a sebehodnocení žáků, Zkušenosti z České republiky i Evropských škol (System of the pupils evaluation and self-evaluation, Experiences from the Czech Republic and the European Schools). 1st ed. Brno: MSD, 2011. 153 pp. ISBN 978-80-7392-169-9. info
- recommended literature
- Connelly, F. M. (2007). (Ed.). The SAGE handbook of curriculum and instruction. Thousand Oaks: SAGE.
- SLAVÍK, Jan and Tomáš JANÍK. Kvalita výuky: obsahově zaměřený přístup ke studiu procesů vyučování a učení (Quality of Instruction: Content-focused approach to research into teaching and learning). Pedagogika. 2012, vol. 62, No 3, p. 262-286. ISSN 0031-3815. info
- Pedagogická encyklopedie. Edited by Tomáš Janík - Milada Rabušicová - Jan Průcha. Vyd. 1. Praha: Portál, 2009. 935 s. ISBN 9788073675462. info
- SLAVÍK, Jan. Hodnocení v současné škole :východiska a nové metody pro praxi. Vyd. 1. Praha: Portál, 1999. 190 s. ISBN 80-7178-262-9. info
- Teaching methods
- Assumptive learning activities and teaching methods used at seminars: group discussion, problem solving, self-study of scientific literature, processing and presentation of thesis by reading scientific literature, performance of ongoing tasks. Output skills that students acquire: analyse, critically reflect and use available scientific texts to support their professional arguments, systematize and use with comprehension basic scientific terminology when solving case studies.
- Assessment methods
- The course is ended by credit. The requirements for successful ending include systematic and active work in the seminars and regular written preparations on the basis of reading professional literature according to the instructions given by the teacher.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/spring2020/SZ6045