PdF:SPDC030 Sociology of Handicap - Course Information
SPDC030 Sociology of HandicapFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Mgr. Lucie Jarkovská, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Lenka Slepičková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. PhDr. Marie Vítková, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Lucie Jarkovská, Ph.D.
Department of Special and Inclusive Education - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: PhDr. Mgr. Ilona Fialová, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Institute for Research in Inclusive Education - Faculty of Education
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The aim of the subject is to get familiar with recent sociological theories concerning disability and to deepen the students´previous knowledge related to the medical, functional and social model of disability and to enrich this view by the theories focusing on social, political, cultural and economic factors, defining disability, influencing disability expericence and social reactions to disability as such.
- Learning outcomes
- • Acquire deep knowledge of medical, functional and social model of disability
• Be able to extend it by theoretic models focusing on social, cultural and economic factor which define the disability
• Be able to apply the theories to the domain of social politics and education
- Students will get familiar with phenological and discoursive theories of disability through the recent papers, focusing on the disability experience. They will learn how to perceive connections of the disability with the others phenomena, such us: disability and health, body and disability, identity and disability, culture and disability, stigmatization, social exclusion and inclusion, quality of life and social participation, disability and social policy and education.
- required literature
- Jinakost - postižení - kritika : společenské konstrukty nezpůsobilosti a hendikepu : antologie textů z oboru disability studies. Edited by Kateřina Kolářová, Translated by Zuzana Šťastná - Sylva Ficová. Vyd. 1. Praha: Sociologické nakladatelství (SLON), 2012. 581 s. ISBN 9788074190506. info
- BARNES, Colin, Geof MERCER and Tom SHAKESPEARE. Exploring disability : a sociological introduction. 1st pub. Cambridge: Polity Press, 1999. vi, 280. ISBN 0745614787. info
- LINTON, Simi. Claiming disability : knowledge and identity. Edited by Michael Bérubé. London: New York University Press, 1998. xv, 203. ISBN 0814751342. info
- OLIVER, Michael. Understanding disability : from theory to practice. Basingstoke: Palgrave, 1996. x, 192. ISBN 0333599160. info
- recommended literature
- Embodying the monsterencounters with the vulnerable self. Edited by Margrit Shildrick. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: SAGE Publications, 2002. viii, 153. ISBN 0761965491. info
- MURPHY, Robert Francis. Umlčené tělo. Vyd. 1. Praha: Sociologické nakladatelství, 2001. 188 s. ISBN 8085850982. info
- Teaching methods
- Seminars, presentations by professionals in the sectors, reading discussions
- Assessment methods
- Book review, compulsory reading during the term, final essay
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: in blocks.