PdF:DGC011 GIS and Cartography in Geo Edu - Course Information
DGC011 GIS and Cartography in Geography EducationFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 15 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
Taught in person.
- Mgr. Darina Mísařová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Mgr. Hana Svatoňová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Mgr. Hana Svatoňová, Ph.D.
Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Kateřina Brabcová
Supplier department: Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Geography Education (programme PdF, D-DIGE) (2)
- Course objectives
- The main aim of the course is to introduce the students to processing of image information, the specifics of maps and image data from remote sensing as tools depicting reality. This will be done in the context of school practice. Students will be acquainted with creation of maps, and with cartographic and geoinformation products and their role in geographic education. They will acquire the basic skills to work with geoinformation technologies and to orientate themselves in freely accessible geoinformation programs and geographic data with respect to their use in teaching.
- Learning outcomes
- Mastering of the basic level of work with geoinformation technologies - processing of given map, interpretation of remote sensing image data. Participation in a expert excursion to a selected research and production institution focused on the production of maps and image data processing.
- Outline: 1. Repeating terminology and methodology of cartography and geoinformatics 2. Cartography and geoinformatics as both scientific and practical disciplines, research and products. 3. Basic concepts of processing of formalized models of geographic reality in digital and analog form. 4. Data sources for geographic reality models. 5. Specifics of maps and remote sensing data. Discussion on a professional topic. One conspectus from foreign literature from the field of geoinformatics (agreed with the examiner).
- BLÁHA, Jan D. Vybrané okruhy z geografické kartografie. Vydání první. V Ústí nad Labem: Univerzita J.E. Purkyně, 2017. 159 stran. ISBN 9788075610928. info
- TOMLIN, C. Dana. GIS and cartographic modeling. Redlands, Calif.: Esri Press, 2013. xx, 182. ISBN 9781589483095. info
- A to Z GIS : an illustrated dictionary of geographic information systems. Edited by Tasha Wade - Shelly Sommer. 2nd ed. Redlands, Calif.: Independent Publishers Group [distributor], 2006. xvi, 268. ISBN 1589481402. info
- VOŽENÍLEK, Vít. Cartography for GIS : geovisualization and map communication. 1st ed. Olomouc: Univerzita Palackého v Olomouci, 2005. 142 s. ISBN 8024410478. info
- Advanced spatial analysis : the CASA book of GIS. Edited by Paul Longley - Michael Batty. 1st ed. Redlands, Calif.: ESRI Press, 2003. viii, 463. ISBN 1589480732. info
- Teaching methods
- Seminar - a discussion of the field of study. Participation in a expert excursion to a selected research and development institution focused on the production of maps and image data processing.
- Assessment methods
- The successful passing of the course is achieved by: *Active participation in the expert discussion *Compilation of aconspectus from foreign literature from the field of geoinformatics agreed by the examiner. *Mastering of the basic level of work with geoinformation technologies - processing of given map, interpretation of remote sensing image data. *Participation in a expert excursion to a selected research and production institution focused on the production of maps and image data processing.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught each semester.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/autumn2021/DGC011