PdF:JVk011 English for Teachers I - Course Information
JVk011 English for Teachers IFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/1.3. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Jana Kollárová (lecturer)
Mgr. Daniela Dvořáková (assistant)
Mgr. Gabriela Hublová, Ph.D. (assistant)
Mgr. Dita Trčková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Dita Trčková, Ph.D.
Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Jitka Autratová
Supplier department: Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Education
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- JVk011/OS01: Sat 23. 2. 14:00–16:50 učebna 57, Sat 2. 3. 14:00–16:50 učebna 21, Sat 9. 3. 14:00–16:50 učebna 37, Sat 16. 3. 14:00–16:50 učebna 57, Sat 23. 3. 14:00–16:50 učebna 57, J. Kollárová
- JVk001 Entrance Test A2 - English || JVp001 Entrance Test A2 - English
A pass in JVk001 – Entrance test A2 - English. (Úspěšně absolvovaný předmět JVk001 – Vstupní test A2 - AJ.) The course is designed for students who are at least at the A2 level of English and who can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered at work, school, leisure, etc. They can also produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest, and can read texts and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 6 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to help students achieve B1 level knowledge of English by improving all language skills (listening, reading, speaking, writing) and systems of the language (grammar and vocabulary) within the given level. The course also intends to introduce and enhance academic vocabulary and skills (writing formal emails, giving opinions, presentations, etc.).
- Learning outcomes
- By the end of the course, the student will be able to: - understand spoken LSP texts at B1 level of the CEFR; - understand written LSP texts at B1 level of the CEFR; - produce a formal email; - successfully participate in a spoken interaction dealing with relevant LSP issues at B1 level of the CEFR; - give an oral presentation on a specialist topic related to the student's field of study; - use selected specialist terminology in an accurate, natural way; - show a good command of selected grammar structures at B1 level of the CEFR
- In-class topics: 1) Education in the Czech Republic 2) Current problems in Czech schools 3) Tertiary education and jobs 4) Going abroad and writing professional emails 5) Giving presentations Grammar topics (self-study): Present simple x continuous, Past simple x continuous, Present perfect, Expressing future, Word order + Making questions, Comparatives and Superlatives, Passive voice, Prepositions + Prepositional phrases, Phrasal verbs, Adjectives x Adverbs, Modal verbs, Conditional clauses, Countables + uncountables + quantifiers.
- required literature
- Materials available in the IS.
- recommended literature
- MURPHY, Raymond. Essential grammar in Use : a self-study reference and practice book for elementary students of English : with answers. 3rd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007. xi, 319. ISBN 9780521675802. info
- MURPHY, Raymond. English grammar in use : a self-study reference and practice book for intermediate learners of English : with answers. Fourth edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012. x, 380. ISBN 9780521189064. info
- SWAN, Michael and Catherine WALTER. The good grammar book : a grammar practice book for elementary to lower-intermediate students of English : with answers. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001. 324 s. ISBN 0194315193. info
- GAIRNS, Ruth and Stuart REDMAN. Oxford word skills. 1st publ. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008. 254 s. ISBN 9780194620031. info
- Cambridge advanced learner's dictionary. Edited by Melisa Good. 3rd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University, 2008. xiv, 1699. ISBN 9780521674683. info
- HARRISON, Richard. New Headway academic skills : level 1 student's book : reading, writing, and study skills. 1st publ. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006. 71 s. ISBN 9780194715584. info
- Teaching methods
- 5 seminars in a term focusing on English for specific and academic purposes. Activities developing students' awareness of language skills and systems within B1 level - listening and reading tasks; grammar and vocabulary practice, discussions and other speaking activities.
- Assessment methods
- Credit requirements: 1) Active participation in the consultations (1 absence is admitted), 2) Careful preparation for each consultation (homework, etc.), 3) Final Exam – written + oral part. Only students who complete all assignments can take the exam. Both parts of the exam need to be passed (written part – 49/75 points, oral part – 16/25 points). Pass mark: 65% (65 points out of 100).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Information on completion of the course: Kurz je ukončen písemnou a ústní zkouškou na úrovni B1.
The course is taught annually.
General note: Zápis vyžaduje úspěšné absolvování vstupního testu JVk001 (obvykle v lednu). Výuka probíhá v angličtině. Kurz je ukončen písemnou a ústní zkouškou na úrovni B1.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 15 hodin.
- Enrolment Statistics (Spring 2019, recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/spring2019/JVk011