FF:TIM_BK_001 Introduction to IM Studies I - Course Information
TIM_BK_001 Introduction to Interactive Media Studies IFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- doc. Mgr. Jakub Macek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Jakub Macek, Ph.D.
Department of Musicology - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Bc. Jitka Leflíková
Supplier department: Department of Musicology - Faculty of Arts
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 100 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/100, only registered: 0/100
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Theory of Interactive Media (programme FF, B-INME_) (2)
- Theory of Interactive Media (programme FF, B-OT)
- Course objectives
- Course is an introduction to studies of new / digital / interactive media. It aims to cover basic terminology and themes of new media studies as well as technological and textual characteristics of new media. The course focuses on students' ability to understand and use basic terminological apparatus including concepts of digitality, hypertextuality, remediation and convergence, virtuality and cybertext. The course includes an introduction to basic technological and historical facts related to new media and their development.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course student will be able to:
- understand and use basic terminological apparatus including concepts of digitality, hypertextuality, remediation and convergence, virtuality and cybertext.
- discuss basic technological and historical facts related to new media and their development.
- - New media studies.
- - Media definitions and typologies.
- - Digital media - on technological characteristics of new media.
- - Cybertext and virtuality.
- - Code / protocol.
- - Hypertext and hypermedia.
- - Multimedia, convergence and remediation.
- - New Media and social / cultural space.
- - Interactivity.
- - History of new media.
- Handbook of new media : social shaping and consequences of ICTs : updated student edition. Edited by Leah A. Lievrouw - Sonia M. Livingstone. Thousand Oaks [Calif.]: SAGE, 2006. xix, 475. ISBN 1412918731. info
- BOLTER, Jay David and Richard A. GRUSIN. Remediation : understanding new media. 1st MIT Press pbk. ed. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2000. xi, 295. ISBN 0262522799. info
- LANDOW, George P. Hypertext 2.0. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1997. x, 353. ISBN 0801855861. info
- Teaching methods
- Assessment methods
- Written test
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: in blocks.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 80 hodin výuky/semestr.
- Enrolment Statistics (Autumn 2023, recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2023/TIM_BK_001