FF:AES_801 Prospection - Course Information
AES_801 Archaeological prospection practiceFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Klára Šabatová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Miroslav Dejmal (seminar tutor)
doc. Mgr. Petr Hrubý, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jana Mazáčková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Renáta Přichystalová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Klára Šabatová, Ph.D.
Department of Archaeology and Museology - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Jitka Šibíčková
Supplier department: Department of Archaeology and Museology - Faculty of Arts
- Prerequisite for this course is the lecture
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 15 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/15, only registered: 0/15
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Archaeology (programme FF, B-AE) (2)
- Archaeology (programme FF, B-AE_) (2)
- Archaeology (programme FF, B-GE)
- Archaeology (programme FF, B-HI) (2)
- Archaeology (programme FF, B-HS)
- Archaeology (programme FF, D-AE)
- Archaeology (programme FF, N-AE) (2)
- Archaeology (programme FF, N-AE_) (2)
- Archaeology (programme FF, N-GE)
- Archaeology (programme FF, N-HS)
- Classical archeology (programme FF, N-AE_)
- Course objectives
- Workshop outcomes: The aim of the course is to teach students the basics of field survey, recognition and documentation of anthropogenic features, metal detector survey including documentation and conservation of metal artefacts, surface collecting of artefacts and their importance and evaluation.
At the end of the course, the students should be able to make field survey in both open and forested terrain. And, based on the acquired data, to draw their own conclusions about anthropogenic activities in the landscape.
Practical part: complete surveying of a site and of individual features, various methods of on-site documentation of archaeological features
- Learning outcomes
- The student will be able to:
- carry out independent field survey and search for the evidence of anthropogenic activities in the historical landscape
- understand the scientific papers focused on this topic
- make critical evaluation of results and outcomes of the accomplished field survey
- draw conclusions on the evolution of historical landscape and the anthropogenic impact on it based on the archaeological evidence found
- Training in the methodology of archaeological field survey and prospecting in the surroundings of the scientific research stations at Tešetice-Kyjovice, Břeclav-Pohansko, Panská Lhota:
- - analytical collecting with the help of GPS
- - analysis and evaluation of collected material
- - searching for anthropogenic relics
- - basic documentation of aboveground structures with the help of GPS, total station, photogrammetry
- - assessment of suitability of the terrain for individual prospecting methods
- - creation of a map of prospected area, plans of anthropogenic relics and detected activity areas
- recommended literature
- KUNA, Martin. Povrchové sběry v povodí Vinořského a Mratínského potoka : [katalog nálezů z let 1986-1990] (Montp.). info
- KUNA, Martin. Non-destructive archaeology :theory, methods and goals. Vyd. 1. Praha: Academia, 2004. 555 s. ISBN 8020012168. info
- Whither archaeology? :papers in honour of Evžen Neustupný. Edited by Martin Kuna - Natalie Venclová. Praha: Institute of Archeology, 1995. 312 s. ISBN 80-901934-0-4. info
- Teaching methods
- training in field survey
duration: 4-7 days
scientific research stations: Těšetice-Kyjovice, Břeclav-Pohansko, Panská Lhota
- Assessment methods
- Requirements for the course-unit credit: participation in team work during the field survey training
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught each semester.
The course is taught: in blocks.
General note: Předmět je zajišťován ve spolupráci se studenty doktorského studijního programu.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 5 dní terénních prospekcí.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2019/AES_801