FF:AJ43001 Academic Writing - Course Information
AJ43001 Academic WritingFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 9 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. David Konečný (lecturer)
Matthew Nicholls, B.Sc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Jeffrey Alan Vanderziel, B.A.
Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Tomáš Hanzálek
- Fri 9:10–10:45 G32
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- English Language and Literature (programme FF, B-FI)
- Course objectives
- The overall aim of the course is to enable students to write acceptable texts in English to fulfil a range of academic purposes. That is, to enable students to write texts which are clearly-expressed, grammatically correct, correctly punctuated, well-structured and logically coherent. Subsidiary aims of the course are: 1. to raise students' awareness of the semantic and syntactic pitfalls of trying to 'sound academic'; 2. to emphasize the virtues of simplicity, explicitness and directness when attempting to express complex ideas; 3. to encourage students to remember the connection between speaking and writing - that is, to ask "Would I say this?" when considering the naturalness of the structures and sentences they choose.
- The Writing Process–purpose, plan, draft, redraft, edit; The students experience of writing; Differences between English and Czech academic texts; The issue of coherence; Paragraph structure-single theme and topic sentence; Punctuation-commas, semicolons and colons; Writing a project statement; Paragraph Structure-topic sentences and links; Paragraph Coherence–using transitions; Paragraph Coherence–Order of Ideas; Paragraph Unity–Digression; Paragraph ‘smoothing’; Writing essays; Paragraph Unity–Unrelated Information; Thesis statements; Parallelism: a) Using parallelism to increase coherence, b) Non-parallel sentence elements; Writing a formal letter of application; Using Generalisations; Editorial issues-italicization; Dangling Modifiers; Punctuation-question marks, quotation marks, and apostrophes;
- AARON, Jane E. The little, brown essential handbook for writers. 3rd ed. New York: Longman, 1999. viii, 247. ISBN 0-321-04970-5. info
- ALEXANDER, L. G. Sixty Steps to Précis. 9. vyd. London: Longmans, 1965. 135 s. info
- COOPER, Charles R. and Rise B. AXELROD. The St. Martins guide to writing. 2nd ed. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1988. xxvi, 726. ISBN 0-312-00283-1. info
- ČMEJRKOVÁ, Světla, František DANEŠ and Jindra SVĚTLÁ. Jak napsat odborný text. Vydání první. Praha: Leda, 1999. 255 stran. ISBN 8085927691. info
- FOWLER, Henry Ramsey. The little, brown handbook. Edited by Jane E. Aaron - Daniel Anderson. 8th ed. New York: Longman, 2000. xxviii, 96. ISBN 0-321-07507-2. info
- LAAKEN, M. van der, R. E. LANKAMP and M. Sharwood SMITH. Writing better English :a multi-purpose model for advanced speakers. 3., herziene druk. Bussum: Uitgeverij Coutinho, 2001. 82 s. ISBN 90-6283-276-8. info
- ŠESTÁK, Zdeněk. Jak psát a přednášet o vědě. Illustrated by Hana Kymrová. Vyd. 1. Praha: Academia, 1999. 204 s. ISBN 8020007555. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures, peer correction of assignments, completetion of written exercises in class, homework assignments, whole-class analysis of written assignments, analysis of model texts
- Assessment methods
- To complete the course students must submit four written homework assignments and take a final written examination. The final examination takes the form of a timed essay. They must also achieve a high level of attendance. To pass the course they must achieve an average score of 67% (40 pts) for the four homework assignments and the final exam. The maximum number of points for each component is as follows: Homework 1 - Summary.............. 6 pts (10%) Homework 2 - Project Statement.... 9 pts (15%) Homework 3 - Essay 1.............. 15 pts (25%) Homework 4 - Formal Letter........ 12 pts (20%) Final Exam - Essay 2...............18 pts (30%) ______ TOTAL: 60 pts
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 5x2.
- Teacher's information