PGBICT06 Online Learning Environments

Faculty of Arts
Spring 2024
Extent and Intensity
1/1/0. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Mgr. Bc. Libor Juhaňák, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Veronika Něničková (seminar tutor)
Guaranteed by
Mgr. Bc. Libor Juhaňák, Ph.D.
Department of Educational Sciences – Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Mgr. Bc. Libor Juhaňák, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Educational Sciences – Faculty of Arts
Thu 16:00–17:40 B2.33, except Thu 18. 4.
PGBICT02 Introduction to ICT
Course Enrolment Limitations
The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.

The capacity limit for the course is 25 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 9/25, only registered: 0/25
fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
Course objectives
The Online learning environments course aims to introduce students to various VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) solutions, especially with a focus on systems of LMS (Learning Management System) type. Students will be acquainted with the specifics, advantages and disadvantages of various online learning environments and will gain a detailed overview of the available tools and functional elements forming LMS systems. At the same time, students will learn to work with an LMS system and will be able to create a course and its individual components, make settings appropriate to the requirements and administer such a course in the LMS system. Students will get acquainted primarily with Moodle LMS, which is sufficiently robust, and thus offers many settings options, which are in a similar form available in other systems of this type. At the same time, Moodle LMS is one of the world’s most widespread online learning environments. As part of the course, students will be guided in particular to be able to recommend the most suitable solution to the client, based on the knowledge and skills acquired, and to present and defend this solution.
Learning outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- identify and summarize important features of selected online learning environments and LMS systems;
- compare and highlight the differences between selected online learning environments and LMS;
- create and manage an online course in Moodle LMS;
- set up a course in Moodle LMS and individual components as needed;
- analyse the client’s situation so that they can make an informed decision;
- offer to the client a suitable LMS and defend the proposal before the client.
  • 1. Online learning environments and LMS
  • 2. Course administration in Moodle LMS
  • 3. Basic types of tools in Moodle LMS
  • 4. Advanced types of tools in Moodle LMS
  • 5. MOOC creation and administration systems (Open edX)
  • 6. Cloud learning environments and LMS
  • 7. Intelligent tutoring systems and adaptive teaching systems
  • 8. Practical experience of experts with course administration in LMS
  • 9. How to choose the right LMS – selection criteria
  • 10. How to choose the right LMS – model situations
  • MANĚNA, Václav a kol. Moderně s Moodlem: Jak využít e-learning ve svůj prospěch?. Praha: CZ.NIC, 2016, 294 s. ISBN 978-80-905802-7-5.
  • DRLÍK, Martin. Moodle : kompletní průvodce tvorbou a správou elektronických kurzů. 1. vyd. Brno: Computer Press, 2013, 344 s. ISBN 9788025137598. info
  • Smart learning environments. Edited by Maiga Chang - Yanyun Li. Berlin: Springer, 2015, xii, 219. ISBN 9783662444467. info
  • DANIELA, Linda a Arta RUDOLFA. Learning Platforms: How to Make the Right Choice. In: Didactics of Smart Pedagogy: Smart Pedagogy for Technology Enhanced Learning. Springer, 2018, s. 191–213. ISBN 3030015513.
Teaching methods
Lecture, e-learning, group work, homework, presentation of professionals with practical experience, oral presentation in front of audience, seminar
Assessment methods
Continuous homework will make up 30% of the final grade. An oral presentation and defence of two final individual assignments – design of a suitable online educational environment for a client (30%) and correct setting up of the course and selected course components (30%) will together make up 60% of the final mark. Submission of a final report will comprise 10%. It will be mandatory to achieve at least 50% of the assessment for each of these components; therefore, it will not be possible to omit any of these components altogether. To successfully complete the course, it is necessary to obtain at least 70% of the total evaluation.
Language of instruction
Follow-Up Courses
Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
The course is taught annually.
Teacher's information
The course is also listed under the following terms Spring 2021, Spring 2022, Spring 2023, Spring 2025.
  • Enrolment Statistics (recent)
  • Permalink: