Faculty of Informatics, Masaryk University, has been running and developing the Information System since 1999. It currently hosts numerous applications utilized for managing study-related records, e-learning tools and those facilitating communication inside the University. It is used by 30,000 users (of the total of 44,000 students and staff members) a day.
The development team have designed a unique technology for the system of this scale to run smoothly. The System was awarded the ISA Award 2009 and EUNIS Elite Award in 2005. Having been successfully implemented at Masaryk University, it is also being put into operation at other schools.
- SGI Success Story (2012) (PDF, 2 MB, in English)
- SGI Success Story (2005) (PDF, 454 KB, in English)
- Novell Success Story (PDF, 111 kB, in English)
- Oracle Success Story (PDF, 94 kB, in English, česky)
Využití IS MU
Numbers of is.muni.cz users that logged into the System on the same day
Numbers of is.muni.cz pages opened per day
Hardware and software running the System:
IS MU runs on more than 300 processor cores installed in more than 50 computers with 1,2 TB RAM memory and the disk space of about 200TB.
Each component of the System is backed up with at least one of its copies. The images above show the following (from left):
- main database server SGI Altix UV 100 used for advanced database operations
- rear side of the tower housing computer module node connections
- towers hosting database, application and support computers
- Tux the penguin (Linux mascot) guarding the System and its database
Most of the computers run Linux, Apache Web server and Oracle database. The IS applications have been written in Perl and utilize a wide range of freely available modules. Více informací o hardwaru…