Statistics and Data Analysis – Field of study catalogue MU
Statistics and Data Analysis
The Master's study programme of Statistics and Data Analysis focuses on the studies of mathematical-statistical methods of the analysis of bulk data, their computer implementation, and the methods of large data sets computer processing. The students choose elective courses according to the topic of their Master's theses, thus defining their specialization within the study programme. The students become acquainted with the basics of mathematical statistics, programming languages, database systems, and modern methods of bulk data processing and signal filtering. Moreover, students will obtain the basic knowledge of methods of statistical analysis and data sets computer processing which are often used in different areas of human activities.
After successfully completing his/her studies the graduate is able to:
- creatively apply mathematical and statistical methods and models used in natural sciences, economics, and technical sciences
- use a wider specialized basis of applied mathematics and a deeper knowledge of statistical methods and computer science
- propose a suitable mathematical model, its algorithmization, and computer implementation of a given complex problem
- employ modern methods used in data analysis, especially parametric and non-parametric statistical methods and spectral approaches including wavelet transformation
- modify, develop, and create the corresponding software in a creative way, and analyse the information from data sets of various types
The graduates are expected to work on solving interdisciplinary problems, especially in economics, banking, biometrics, environment, and other scientific as well as technical branches.
The studies are completed with the Master's state examination and the defence of the Master's thesis.