Business Informatics – Field of study catalogue MU
“Linking the worlds of business and informatics.”
The Business Informatics study programme prepares students to become experts in the development of business processes and in the implementation and control of information systems and information and communication technology (IS/ICT). For that reason, students become familiar with the knowledge of economic disciplines as well as of applied informatics, both of which are needed for such jobs. In business, graduates operate as a bridge between corporate management (including the operative management that knows the details of business processes at the operative level) and ITC specialists.
The aim of the study is to create condition for successful employment as consultants, managers, and developers of business IS/ICT, as members of implementation teams, and as projects managers, and to provide students with quality background knowledge allowing the continuation of the studies at the Master’s degree level in the same or similar studies.
After successfully completing his/her studies the graduate is able to:
- understand thoroughly the link between businesses economics and corporate information needs
- develop and apply relevant methodology in tasks related to the analysis of current IS/ICT and to design modifications of IS/ICT based on corporate technical and conceptual information needs
- propose the development of IS/ICT and participate in managing IS/ICT
- apply the general methods of scientific work
- communicate about profession-related issues in a global language
- continue their studies in the same or a similar Master’s degree study programme thanks to sufficient theoretical knowledge in business management and applied informatics
Graduates can take part in the analysis of the economic processes and of the specific system requirements when customizing information systems. They can work as leaders of smaller information system projects and as workers supporting the operation of IT economic functions.
The standard duration of studies is six semesters. For admittance to the final state examination, students must earn a total of 180 ECTS credits for type A/required, type B/selective, and type C/elective courses. Type A/required courses constitute the basis of the discipline and their share is the largest part of credits (including credits for courses focused on writing a Bachelor’s thesis). Students choose type B/selective courses according to their interests and intended professional specialization. The remaining credits can be earned from type C/elective courses offered in the curriculum of the given study programme or from other courses offered by any other study programme. The total minimum number of credits is defined by the study and examination regulations of Masaryk University, the guidance note about the general study requirements, and the current study catalogue. Students can access the study catalogues through the faculty website:
The final state examination in the Business Informatics study programme is oral and has four parts:
- Thesis defence
- Examination in Microeconomics
- Examination in Business Management
- Examination in Business Information Systems
More information about graduation requirements can be found on the department website: https://www.econ.muni.cz/o-nas/organizacni-struktura/562000-katpodnikoveho-hospodarstvi/szz-na-kph
After completing the Bachelor’s degree study programme, it is possible to continue further studies in the Master’s degree study programme in Engineering and Informatics or Business Informatics.