Social Education – Field of study catalogue MU
“Let's activate, support and motivate others towards the meaning of life”
The degree programme Social Education prepares a personally developed and trained educator, who will rank with their knowledge, skills and personal qualities as a professional in pedagogical and helping professions working in a care system aimed at children, youth, adults and the elderly as well.
This wide range profile is based on specific subjects (disciplines), which by their content, objective and methods cover not only knowledge-based fields (historical facts and contexts, knowledge of theories and concepts, methodology, etc.) but also lead to adoption of their own experience and practical skills.
Special emphasis is put not only on development of theoretical knowledge but also on learning by experience, personal development and on confrontation of theoretical knowledge and students' own non-mediated practical experience, gained from simulated situations (games, development activities) and real pedagogical situations (pedagogical and social practice, their own research, etc.).
After successfully completing his/her studies the graduate is able to:
- Undergo pedagogical and social work with children, youth, adults and the elderly, outline educational and preventive programmes
- Be knowledgeable about basic methodical and conceptual approaches towards pedagogical reality, its processes and problems as well as pedagogical influence in such situations
- Master personality diagnostic methods, basic communication strategies and approaches
- Implement qualitative research, work with academic sources and write an academic essay
Graduates are fully qualified specialists, fully equipped for educational work with people of all ages and social groups in the primary, secondary and tertiary fields of prevention and intervention. They are also competent to take up directional, planning, diagnostic and research posts.
Social education specialists could find positions in state management:
- e.g. ministry of education, youth and physical education (educator, leisure time specialist, methodologist of prevention, advisor for educational and social matters)
- in the field of justice (positions of educators in prisons)
- in the ministry of health care (educator and play therapists in hospital, crisis centres)
- in the field of ministry of social affairs (different positions in in-house treatment)
- ministry of interior affairs (social specialists in refugee camps, humanitarian services or asylum centres)
A wide range of job positions is also available in non-profit organizations; humanitarian and charity institutions, civil agencies, foundations, etc.
The standard duration of studies is four semesters (two years). For admittance to the final state examination students must obtain a total of 120 ECTS credits for required, selective and elective courses
A foreign language (English, German, Russian) is also a part of the studies, basic knowledge of the language is expected at the minimal level B1 (according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), which is built on in classes.
The standard length of studies is 2 years.
During the studies the student experiences a complex system of continuous and consistent practical training, which covers all the fields of possible employment. The system is described below:
The final state examination consists of:
A Master's thesis defence
Social Education and leisure
Examination topics and further information are available on the department website:
After finishing the Master's level of studies, the graduate can apply for the doctoral study programme in Education, Social Education. Basic information is available below:
Further information on the programme is available on the department website: