Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in German Language and Literature – Field of study catalogue MU
Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in German Language and Literature
The aim of this study field is to prepare primary school teachers for teaching the general subject – German language and literature. The Master’s degree programme focuses on the study of the didactics of the German language and on forming the relationships between the particular linguistic, cultural, and literary disciplines and the didactics of German. The focus is on the linguistic-didactic output of all the disciplines and the practical application of all the knowledge to the pedagogical practice at the upper level of primary schools.
After successfully completing his/her studies the graduate is able to:
- speak and write between levels C1 and C2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- speak grammatically accurately and without errors in pronunciation; his/her spoken language can thus become an everyday model to his/her pupils
- understand the basic linguistic terminology and is qualified to enlarge his or her knowledge in the field of linguistics
- study scientific literature in applied linguistics and linguistic didactics and draw conclusions for his or her own pedagogical practice
- critically compare his or her own culture to the culture of other countries and is able to lead his or her pupils towards this ability
- take advantage of the modern information sources and to use them in the primary school teaching
- arrange a direct contact with the target language countries
- choose literary texts suitable for teaching at primary schools and work with them to raise the pupils’ interest and to develop not only their language competence, but also their personalities
- apply the basic linguistic-didactic principles to practice
- plan lessons, use combinations of various methods and forms of teaching, including modern approaches (project teaching, problem teaching)
- take advantage of modern information technologies
- creatively process didactic materials
- flexibly react to changes and particular situations in his or her practice
- develop professionally, based on self-reflection
The future functioning of the graduates is primarily focused on the work of the subject teachers at primary schools. They can use their qualification as German language teachers at the upper primary school level, German language teachers at language schools, or employees in non-teaching positions requiring an excellent knowledge of German (e.g. in public administration).They are also capable of obtaining re-qualification in the professions of their field of study and in the educative field.
The standard duration of studies is 2 years.