Physical Chemistry (Eng.) – Field of study catalogue MU
Physical Chemistry (Eng.)
“To understand how the world works!”
This doctoral study program aims at training highly skilled specialists in the below mentioned fields of study and is based on research and independent creative activity in particular fields of research or development, while the main focus remains either independent and creative experimental activity or theoretical pursuit supervised by the tutor.
After successfully completing his/her studies the graduate is able to:
- critically evaluate findings gained from literature and pass on these
- findings to the public by means of seminars
- assisting during teaching students of bachelor and master programs
- facilitation of gaining significant scientific results that can be published in prestigious journals
- learning to recount one's findings in English with the aim to publish them and compiling one's findings in a doctoral dissertation
Graduates have application in the workplace universities, institutes of the Academy of Sciences, research institutions and scientific laboratories. Graduates are flexible and able to adapt to the requirements of other chemical workplaces and to respect their demands for solving tasks.
The study requires a thorough theoretical knowledge of chemistry. The student acquires this knowledge by completing compulsory optional courses, which are updated by the latest information in the given area, and through optional courses gaining experimental technique skills, as well as learning new methods.
The final state examination of the doctoral program is oral and broader questions are focused on an advanced physical chemistry. The test verifies also knowledge of the particular part of physical chemistry that has been applied in the preparation of the dissertation. One part of the final PhD exam is also doctoral thesis defense. The examination committee is composed of at least two opponents, supervisor and at least three Commissioners, including the chairman of the committee.