LF:ZLBI0121c Biology I - pract. - Course Information
ZLBI0121c Biology I - practiceFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- prof. Ing. Petr Dvořák, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Lukáš Bálek, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Kateřina Cetkovská, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Lívia Eiselleová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Linda Grillová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Iva Gudernová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Hana Hříbková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Šárka Jelínková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Aneta Kohutová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Žaneta Konečná, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Gabriela Páchniková (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Lenka Paštěková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Iva Pernicová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
MUDr. Martin Pešl, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jakub Pivnička (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Vladimír Rotrekl, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Anton Salykin, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
prof. MUDr. Iva Slaninová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Kateřina Snopková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Tereza Váňová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Kateřina Vopěnková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Jana Růžičková (assistant)
Mgr. Martina Vráblíková (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. Ing. Petr Dvořák, CSc.
Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: Mgr. Kateřina Vopěnková, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- ZLBI0121c/21: Thu 10:10–11:50 B07/205a
ZLBI0121c/22: Thu 10:10–11:50 B07/205a
ZLBI0121c/23: Thu 15:50–17:30 B07/205a
ZLBI0121c/24: Thu 15:50–17:30 B07/205a
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- After completion of the course student: operates light microscope; understands the basics of electron microscopy, genetic toxicology, gene engineering or the methods of karyotyping; is able to evaluate the risk of hereditary diseases in a patient on the basis of assigned family anamnesis of this disease; is able to propose and interpret elementary molecular screening methods for some hereditary, neoplastic or microbial diseases. Student is also able to apply this knowledge and skills in other subject, especially histology, pathology and human genetics.
- Week 1 (21.9.-25.9. 2015): Biology - instructions. Non-cellular organisms and infectious agents
- Week 2 (28.9.-2.10.): Prokaryotic cells and their medical significance
- Week 3 (5.10.-9.10.): Microscopic observation of eukaryotic cells
- Week 4 (12.10.-16.10.): In vitro cultivation methods of human cells - implication for medical research
- Week 5 (19.10.-23.10.): Plasma membrane - osmosis, cell fusion
- Week 6 (26.10.-30.10.): Principles of electron microscopy and cellular ultrastructure
- Week 7 (2.11.-6.11.): Structure and replication of DNA. Control test (knowledge of the weeks 1 to 6 - practices, lectures)
- Week 8 (9.11.-13.11.): Transcription and translation
- Week 9 (16.11.-20.11.): Methods of cell cycle studying
- Week 10 (23.11.-27.11.): Mitosis observation under light microscope
- Week 11 (30.11.-4.12.): Biological significance of meiosis - gametogenesis
- Week 12 (7.12.-11.12.): Human karyotype and chromosomal abnormalities
- Week 13 (14.12.-18.12.): Genetic disorders - autosomal inheritance Control test (knowledge of the weeks 7 to 12 - practices, lectures)
- Week 14 (21.12.-23.12.): substitution practices
- Week 15 (4.1.-8.1.): Credits. Re-sit control tests, credit tests
- required literature
- Aktuální protokoly k praktickým cvičením jsou dostupné pouze v elektronické podobě na stránkách informačního systému MU (ISu): Studijní materiály předmětu ZLBI0121c
- Actual protocols for practices are provided in electronic form in the Information System of the Masaryk University (IS): Study Materials of the subject aZLBI0121c
- Teaching methods
- laboratory practice, class discussion
- Assessment methods
- Practical classes are mandatory.
Bring printed protocol for each practice, and your own writing materials. Download protocol for each practical class from the Study materials in the IS, and study it in advance. Lab shoes, lab coats and disposable gloves are not required.
Requirements for course completion: full attendance in the practical classes (1 absence, excused or unexcused, is allowed); all protocols completed (also for missed lessons) and checked and signed by appropriate teachers; successfully passed 2 written control tests during the semester (20 questions each, 4 possibilities, 1 answer correct, student need to reach at least 14 points out of 20 in each test). In case you do not pass one of the control tests and its re-sit, you have to pass the final test (so-called Credit test) based on knowledge of the whole semester. The test comprises of 20 questions: 10 test questions (multiple answers can be correct, negative marking is obtained for incorrect answers) + 10 given terms for written explanation. At least 14 points out of 20 are needed to pass.
In case of student’s late arrival to the practice, poor activity at the practice student is required to write an essay in the length of 2 pages on a given topic. Same for the case of 2nd and any additional absence in practices, excused or unexcused. Find the instructions for essay writing in the Course-related instructions in the IS, bring the essay printed to the teacher who specified the topic and be ready to answer the teacher's questions regarding the topic.
In case of 3 absences, (or more than 3 absences all excused by the Office for Studies within 5 days from the beginning of the absence and introduced into the Information System), it is addressed individually and credit is given only after the proof of the student's knowledge of the whole semester topics (so-called Credit test, see above).
In case of 4 or more unexcused absences, credit is not awarded.
Substitution of practical classes: in case of illness, appointment at the doctor’s or foreign policy, student can exceptionally arrange a substitution with another group on the same teaching week. To arrange a substitution, write an e-mail to the contact person of the subject at least 24 hours in advance. Repeated substitution with other groups is not allowed.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information