LF:ZLBI0121c Biology I - pract. - Course Information
ZLBI0121c Biology I - practiceFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- prof. RNDr. Ondřej Slabý, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Kateřina Vopěnková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Kateřina Cetkovská, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Lívia Eiselleová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Bohumil Fafílek, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Petr Fojtík, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Matěj Hrala (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Petra Lázničková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Master Alexandru Nită (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Markéta Nováková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Veronika Palušová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
MUDr. Martin Pešl, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Sara Poovakulathu Abraham, MSc (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Petra Pospíšilová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Vladimír Rotrekl, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Nicola Silva, PhD. (seminar tutor)
prof. MUDr. Iva Slaninová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Kateřina Straková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Natália Vadovičová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Barbora Valčíková (seminar tutor)
Gretsen Velezmoro Jauregui, M.Sc. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Bc. Eliška Vrbová (seminar tutor)
Jana Růžičková (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. Ing. Petr Dvořák, CSc.
Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: Ing. Lívia Eiselleová, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- ZLBI0121c/21: Wed 25. 9. to Wed 18. 12. Wed 12:30–13:00 B07/205a, Wed 13:00–14:00 B07/217, Wed 13:00–14:00 B07/205a, Wed 14:00–14:10 B07/205a
ZLBI0121c/22: Wed 25. 9. to Wed 18. 12. Wed 12:30–13:00 B07/205a, Wed 13:00–14:00 B07/217, Wed 13:00–14:00 B07/205a, Wed 14:00–14:10 B07/205a
ZLBI0121c/23: Wed 25. 9. to Wed 18. 12. Wed 15:00–15:30 B07/205a, Wed 15:30–16:30 B07/217, Wed 15:30–16:30 B07/205a, Wed 16:30–16:40 B07/205a
ZLBI0121c/24: Wed 25. 9. to Wed 18. 12. Wed 15:00–15:30 B07/205a, Wed 15:30–16:30 B07/205a, Wed 15:30–16:30 B07/217, Wed 16:30–16:40 B07/205a
- Knowledge of high-school biology on the level of Overview of High School Biology (https://is.muni.cz/auth/do/med/el/overview/overview_CZ.qwarp) or similar is required.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Dentistry (eng.) (programme LF, M-ZL)
- Dentistry (programme LF, M-ZL) (2)
- Course objectives
- The main objectives of the course are:
- learning to operate the light microscope while observing prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells and various cell structures and processes
- understanding the methods of risk evaluation for monogenic hereditary diseases with autosomal inheritance in patients based on family anamneses
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course, the student will be able to:
- operate the light microscope
- perform some of the basic cytochemical staining techniques in observation of bacterial and human cells
- explain the basic principles and use of electron microscopy
- describe the basic techniques and applications of tissue and cell cultures
- deduce the impact of selected DNA mutations on the primary structure of proteins
- explain the methodology of assembling and examining the karyotype and its use, and to evaluate basic numerical and structural aberrations in assigned human karyotypes
- evaluate the risk of numerical and structural aberrations resulting from meiotic non-disjunctions and chromosomal translocations
- evaluate the risk of monogenic hereditary diseases with autosomal inheritance in patients based on assigned family anamneses of the diseases
- Week 1: Instructions. Non-cellular organisms and infectious agents
- Week 2: Prokaryotic cells and their medical significance
- Week 3: Microscopic observation of eukaryotic cells
- Week 4: In vitro culture of human cells
- Week 5: DNA structure and replication. Transcription and translation
- Week 6: Principles of electron microscopy, cellular ultrastructure
- Week 7: Control test 1 (knowledge of the weeks 1 to 6 - lectures, seminars, practices); practical microscopy exam
- Week 8: Methods of cell cycle studying
- Week 9: Mitosis observation in a light microscope
- Week 10: Biological significance of meiosis - gametogenesis
- Week 11: Human karyotype and chromosomal abnormalities
- Week 12: Genetic disorders - autosomal inheritance
- Week 13: Control test 2 (knowledge of the weeks 7 to 13 - lectures, seminars, practices)
- Week 14: substitution week
- required literature
- Aktuální protokoly k praktickým cvičením jsou dostupné v elektronické podobě na stránkách informačního systému MU (ISu): Studijní materiály předmětu ZLBI0121c
- Teaching methods
- laboratory practice, class discussion
- Assessment methods
- Requirements for the course completion: full attendance in the practices (1 absence, excused or unexcused, is allowed); all protocols completed (also for missed lessons) and checked and signed by appropriate teachers; successfully passed practical microscopy exam; successfully passed 2 written control tests during the semester (20 questions each, 4 possibilities, 1 answer correct, student need to reach at least 12 points out of 20 in each test). In case you do not pass one of the control tests and its re-sit, you have to pass the final test (Credit test) based on knowledge of the entire semester lectures and practices. The test comprises of 20 questions: 10 test questions (multiple answers can be correct, negative marking is obtained for incorrect answers) + 10 given terms for a written explanation. At least 10 points out of 20 are needed to pass.
In case of student’s late arrival to the practice or poor activity at the practice, the student is required to write an essay in the length of 2 pages on a given topic. Same for the case of 2nd and any additional absence in practices (excused or unexcused). Find the instructions for essay writing in the Course-related instructions in the IS, bring the essay printed to the teacher who specified the topic; be ready to answer the teacher's questions regarding the topic.
In case of 3 absences, (or more than 3 absences all excused by the Office for Studies within 5 days from the beginning of the absence and introduced to the Information System), it is addressed individually and course-unit credit is awarded only after the proof of the student's knowledge of the entire semester topics (Credit test, see above).
In the case of 4 or more unexcused absences, the course-unit credit is not awarded.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 30.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information
What to bring to each practice: printed protocol for the respective practice, your own writing materials. Download the protocol for each practice from the Study materials in the IS, and study it in advance. Lab shoes, lab coats and disposable gloves are not required, but for the tasks with staining, lab coats are recommended.
Substitution of practices: In exceptional cases (illness, appointment at the doctor’s or foreign policy, 1 or 2 times per semester as maximum) student can arrange a substitution with another group. To arrange a substitution, write an e-mail to the contact person of the course at least 24 hours before your planned substitution and specify the group (date and time) you would like to attend instead. Substitution is only possible on the same teaching week. When the capacity of the group you intended to substitute with is fully used, the substitution does not need to be approved. Repeated substitution with other groups is not allowed.
Complete Biology instructions to be found at the following link:
- Enrolment Statistics (autumn 2019, recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/med/autumn2019/ZLBI0121c