LF:ZLIM051c Immunology in Dent. - pract. - Course Information
ZLIM051c Immunology in Dentistry - practiceFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/1/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- prof. MUDr. Vojtěch Thon, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
prof. MUDr. Jiří Litzman, CSc. (seminar tutor)
prof. MUDr. Jindřich Lokaj, CSc. (seminar tutor)
Miroslava Bučková (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. MUDr. Vojtěch Thon, Ph.D.
Department of Clinical Immunology and Allergology - Institutions shared with St. Anne's Faculty Hospital - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: prof. MUDr. Vojtěch Thon, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Clinical Immunology and Allergology - Institutions shared with St. Anne's Faculty Hospital - Faculty of Medicine
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- ZLIM051c/21: Mon 5. 11. to Fri 21. 12. Tue 13:30–15:10 ÚKIA N01021
ZLIM051c/22: Mon 5. 11. to Fri 21. 12. Tue 13:30–15:10 ÚKIA N01021
ZLIM051c/23: Mon 5. 11. to Fri 21. 12. Tue 13:30–15:10 ÚKIA N01021
ZLIM051c/40: No timetable has been entered into IS.
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ZLBC0221p Biochemistry I - lecture && ZLBI0222p Biology II-lect. && ZLBF011p Med.Physics and Informat.-lect && ZLFY0422c Physiology II - practice && ZLFY0422s Physiology II - seminar && ZLLM0421c Med.Oral.Microbiol.I-pract. && ZC041 Handling chemical substances
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The course is focused to clinical and laboratory aspects of immunology in medicine. After finishing this course the student will understand the pathogenesis of immunopathological diseases and know the clinical manifestation and the treatment approaches to the most severe disturbances of the immune system particularly focused on the orofacial localization.
- Significance of the past history and of basic clinical and laboratory investigations for indication of immunological tests. Blood count. Serum proteins. Laboratory markers of inflammation. Blood collection. Diagnostic antisera. Monoclonal antibodies as diagnostic and therapeutic tools. Interaction between antigen and antibody in vitro. Primary and secondary immunological interactions. Serological reactions - overview. Specificity and sensitivity. Titration of serum. Major histocompatibility complex: structure, function. HLA typing. Molecular genetic in immunology. Innate or natural immunity: phagocytosis, NK cells, cytotoxicity, interferon system, complement system, acute phase reaction, inflammation. Complement system evaluation. Cells of the immune system. CD nomenclature of leukocyte antigens. Phenotyping of lymphocytes. Flow cytometry. Evaluation of phagocytic cells. B lymphocytes and immunoglobulins. Biological properties of antibodies. Primary and secondary immunodeficiency disorders. HIV infection and AIDS. Active and passive immunisation. Immunoglobulin therapy. Immunostimulation. Autoimmunity and disease. Immunological tolerance. Autoantibodies and their laboratory detection. Clinically significant organ specific and organ non-specific autoantibodies. Hypersensitivity reactions - anaphylactic, cytotoxic, immune complex, T-cell-mediated. Clinical allergology. Allergic skin and exposition tests. Skin tests for early hypersensitivity. Delayed-type hypersensitivity tests. Anergy. Prevention and treatment of allergic diseases. Anaphylactic shock. Tumor immunology. Tumor antigens. Transfusion immunology. ABO system. Rh system. Transfusion reactions. Immunology of organ and bone marrow transplantation. Graft vs. host reaction.
- HOŘEJŠÍ, Václav and Jiřina BARTŮŇKOVÁ. Základy imunologie. 4. vyd. Praha: Triton, 2009. 316 s. ISBN 9788073872809. info
- LITZMAN, Jiří, Tomáš FREIBERGER, Vlastimil KRÁL and Vojtěch THON. Základy vyšetření v klinické imunologii (Investigations in clinical immunology). 1st ed. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2007. 59 pp. ISBN 978-80-210-4227-8. info
- Teaching methods
- The course is given in a form of seminars. To get the credit, presence in 90% of seminars with active participation in discussions is required. The knowledge is continuously checked by oral questions.
- Assessment methods
- To get the credit active presence on seminars is required.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.