PřF:E0360 Social epidemiology - Course Information
E0360 Social epidemiologyFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Anna Bartošková (lecturer)
MUDr. Martin Bobák, M.Sc., Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Andrea Dalecká, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Albert Kšiňan, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Gabriela Kšiňanová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Hynek Pikhart, Ph.D., M.Sc. (lecturer)
Consuelo Quispe Haro (seminar tutor)
Orjola Shahaj (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- MUDr. Martin Bobák, M.Sc., Ph.D.
RECETOX - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: RNDr. Tomáš Pavlík, Ph.D.
Supplier department: RECETOX - Faculty of Science
- Fri 11:00–12:50 D29/252-RCX1
- E0350 Epidemiology
This subject provides an introduction to social epidemiology, and does not require previous attandance of other subjects. However, knowledge of epidemiology (e.g., as covered in the course E0350 Epidemiology) gives students a great advantage and facilitates understanding of the lecutures.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The aim of this course is to introduce students to social determinants of health and to provide overview of the effects of social environment and socioeconomic factors on human health.
- Learning outcomes
- After this course, students will be able to:
- define social determinants of health
- name the main indicators of socioeconomic position
- describe the main psychosocial factors
- understand the pathways linking social factors with health, including the long chain of causation linking social determinants with health
- appreciate the importance of social inequalities in health
- explain the global inequalities in health and their main determinants
- appreciate policy implications of social determinants of health for health and social policy
- Introduction to social epidemiology and population health
- Socioeconomic position and health
- Measures and measurement of population health
- Psychosocial and psychological factors
- Individual vs. group exposures
- Relative vs. absolute differences in health status
- Determinants of health in childhood and adolescence
- Determinants of health over the life-course
- Psychosocial factors in the work environment and health
- Long-term changes and secular trends in health status
- Mechanisms of social influences on health
- Social interventions
- Review of topics
- Bartley M. Health Inequality: An Introduction to Concepts, Theories and Methods” 2nd Ed. 2017. Polity Press, Cambridge, UK.
- Commission on Social Determinants of Health (CSDH). Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health. Final Report of the CSDH. Geneva, WHO 2008. http://www.who.int/social_determinants/thecommission/final
- Social determinants of health. The solid facts. 2nd ed. R. Wilkinson & M. Marmot (eds.) WHO, Who Regional Office for Europe. 2003. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/98438/e81384.pdf
- BARTLEY, Mel. Health inequality : an introduction to theories, concepts and methods. 1st pub. Cambridge: Polity Press, 2004. viii, 208. ISBN 0745627803. info
- Teaching methods
- The course involves Lectures and interactive seminars, with emphasis on understanding of main concepts, mechanisms and contexts. Students are frequently asked questions to think about the topic and given model problems to work with.
- Assessment methods
- The grading is broken down as follows:
2 tests : mid semester and at the end of the semester; 80% of the grade altogether
Practical assignment: understanding and correct interpretation of a research article done in pairs, presented during the final lecture; 20% of the grade None of the 3 activities can be graded 0 for successful completion of the subject.
A: 100-90 % B: 89-80 % C: 79-70 % D: 69-60 % E: 59-50 %
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/spring2023/E0360