PřF:E3040 Public Health Protection - Course Information
E3040 Public Health ProtectionFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught partially online.
- MUDr. Martin Bobák, M.Sc., Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Andrea Dalecká, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Anna Bartošková (lecturer)
Mgr. Eliška Hrežová (lecturer)
Mgr. Tomáš Janoš, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Katarzyna Kordas, PhD (lecturer)
RNDr. Ondřej Mikeš, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Daniel Szabó (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- MUDr. Martin Bobák, M.Sc., Ph.D.
RECETOX - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: MUDr. Martin Bobák, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Supplier department: RECETOX - Faculty of Science
- Thu 9:00–10:50 D29/252-RCX1
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- NOW ( E3041 Public Health Prot - Pract )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Environment and Health (programme PřF, B-ZPZ)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to familiarize students with the problematics of protection and promotion of public health. The current state of health of the population will be discussed with emphasis on the possibilities of prevention and health promotion at the individual level, as well as in the form of national and transnational action plans. The main environmental factors that can impact population health will be presented in detail in order to broaden the students' knowledge on physical, chemical and biological health risks. At the same time, the effects of the occupational environment and the built environment on population health will be presented in the course.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of this course the student will be able to:
- define determinants of health, understand the role of prevention in public health
- describe the characteristics of the health status of the population of the Czech Republic
- understand the concept of exposome
- describe the potential risks of chemicals, the method of exposure and biomonitoring
- describe the effects of physical environmental factors (noise, electromagnetic field and radiation) on health
- describe risk and protective factors in the diet and their impact on human health
- understand the effects of the occupation on public health
- understand the role of health literacy in the protection of health, and describe the most important national and transnational health promotion projects.
- 1. Health as a social problem. Current state of health of the Czech population, international comparison.
- 2. Determinants of health. Concenpt of exposome.
- 3. Noise and its impact on human health. Ionizing and non-ionizing radiation and its effect on health.
- 4. Occupational factors and their impact on health.
- 5. Air pollutants and their impact on human health. Principles of public health protection.
- 6. Chemical risks. Health risk assessment of chemicals.
- 7. Human biomonitoring.
- 8. Built environment, Sick Building Syndrome.
- 9. Impact of climate change on health.
- 10. Non-communicable diseases - incidence, risk factors and prevention. Infectious diseases, preventive epidemic measures. Vaccination. Epidemiological transition.
- 11. Health promotion, national and international projects. Evidence-based interventions. Prevention and health literacy.
- 12. Nutritional epidemiology - nutrition and its impact on health.
- 13. Public health protection in practice.
- TUČEK, Milan and Alena SLÁMOVÁ. Hygiena a epidemiologie pro bakaláře. 2., doplněné vydání. Praha: Univerzita Karlova, nakladatelství Karolinum, 2018. 216 stran. ISBN 9788024639321. info
- TUČEK, Milan. Hygiena a epidemiologie. 2., doplněné vydání. Praha: Univerzita Karlova, nakladatelství Karolinum, 2018. 358 stran. ISBN 9788024639338. info
- MZ ČR. Zdraví 2030. Strategický rámec rozvoje péče o zdraví v České republice do roku 2030. Praha 2020. Dostupné na: https://zdravi2030.mzcr.cz/zdravi-2030-strategicky-ramec.pdf
- OECD/European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies (2021), Czech Republic: Country Health Profile 2021, State of Health in the EU, OECD Publishing, Paris, https://doi.org/10.1787/8b341a5e-en.
- Health literacy : the solid facts. Edited by Ilona Kickbusch. Copenhagen: World Health Organization, 2013. vi, 73. ISBN 9789289000154. info
- Teaching methods
- The course has a form of regular lectures and practicums. Participation in the practicums is compulsory with the possibility of two absences during the semester. During the lectures, individual topics will be explained with examples and case studies. Practicums will take the form of student presentations. At the beginning of the semester, the topics will be assigned to the students who will prepare a short presentation that will be presented at the beginning of each practicum. This will be followed by an instructor-led discussion of the specific topic.
- Assessment methods
- Final test (max 65% of the total grade):
- consists of open and closed questions
Presentation (max 20% of total grade):
- independent study of the topic and preparation of the presentation
- 10-15 min presentation as part of the practicums
- Students will submit their presentations to the is.muni Homework Vaults (“Odevzdávárna”).
Activity (15% of the overall grade):
- The students may be awarded by 5 points (1 point = 3% of the final grade) for their activity during the semester. In total, the students may obtain 15% of the final grade.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2023/E3040