PřF:S5018 Methods of Protein Characteriz - Course Information
S5018 Methods of Protein CharacterizationFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/0/0. 1 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Recommended Type of Completion: k (colloquium). Other types of completion: zk (examination).
- doc. RNDr. Radovan Fiala, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Josef Houser, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Pavel Kadeřávek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Tomáš Klumpler, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Karel Kubíček, PhD. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jiří Nováček, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Jiří Nováček, Ph.D.
National Centre for Biomolecular Research - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: Mgr. et Mgr. Eva Barnová
Supplier department: Central European Institute of Technology
- Basic knowledge of biochemistry and molecular biology.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
- Course objectives
- The aim of this course is to introduce to students present possibilities of methods of Protein Characterization.
- I. Protein characterization by biochemical methods
- 1.Biomolecular sample, quality analysis, sample requirements
- 2.Methods for analysis of biomolecules, complementarity of techniques
- 3.Biomolecular interactions – methods, comparison, applications
- 4.Optimization of experiment, global analysis approach
- 5.High-throughput approach in biomolecular interactions
- II. Protein characterization by NMR
- 1. Principles of NMR Spectroscopy
- 2. What Can NMR Tell about Proteins
- 3. Protein Structure Determination by NMR
- 4. Protein Dynamics, Interaction, and Transient States Studied by NMR
- III. Protein characterization by cryoEM
- 1. Introduction to electron microscopy - Applications of electron microscopy in the life-science research
- 2 Electron microscopy imaging - Transmission electron microscope, cryo-electron microscopy, principles of image formation.
- 3. Data analysis - Alignment of the data in 2D, methods for 3D structure determination
- IV. Protein characterization by single crystal X-ray diffraction and Bio-SAXS
- 1A. Introduction to single crystal X-ray diffraction
- 2A. Macromolecular crystallization techniques
- 3A. Diffraction experiment
- 4A. The Phase Problem & methods of its solving
- 5A. Structural model & its refinement
- 1B. Introduction to Biological Small Angle X-ray Scattering
- 2B. Basic principles
- 3B. SAXS experiment
- 4B. Data analysis
- 5B. SAXS based modeling
- Teaching methods
- online lectures
uploaded gradually during the semester in the Interactive syllabus of the course
students go through the commented presentations and videos individually
- individual consultations with the lecturers
- online lectures
- Assessment methods
- Essay on the topic of using a method for protein characterization in my thesis/project/research.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
- Teacher's information
- Another recommended course: S5017 Mass Spectrometry in Proteomics https://is.muni.cz/auth/predmet/sci/jaro2022/S5017 More information + recommended literature in the Interactive Syllabus of the course.