ESF:BPJ_PJIE Presentation skills in English - Course Information
BPJ_PJIE Presentation skills in EnglishFaculty of Economics and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Bc. Eva Punčochářová (seminar tutor)
Ing. Mgr. Blanka Pojslová, Ph.D. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Bc. Eva Punčochářová
Language Centre, Faculty of Economics and Administration Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Economics and Administration
Contact Person: Mgr. Lucie Jurková
Supplier department: Language Centre, Faculty of Economics and Administration Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Economics and Administration
- This course is primarily offered to students enrolled in Bachelor’s degree studies in English.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 14 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/14, only registered: 4/14
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Business Management and Finance (programme ESF, B-BMF)
- Economics and Public Policy (programme ESF, B-EPP)
- Multidisciplinary studies (programme CST, KOS)
- Multidisciplinary studies (programme ESF, KOS)
- Multidisciplinary studies at Faculty of Economics and Administration (programme CST, KOS)
- Course objectives
- At the beginning of the course students should:
- have upper-intermediate knowledge of English.
Main objectives of the course:
- to acquaint students with basic techniques used in the process of preparing and giving a presentation;
- to extend their vocabulary related to this discipline;
- to practise the newly learnt skills in front of the audience.
- Learning outcomes
- By the end of this course, students should:
- improve their presentation skills,
- handle various presentation formats
- provide other students with constructive feedback and be able to do self-reflection.
- 1.INTRODUCTION - key features of an effective presentation, getting started, stating your purpose, different ways of attracting the attention of the audience, making an immediate impact on the audience, how to introduce yourself and your talk.
- 2. EFFECTIVE OPENINGS - problem technique, amazing facts technique, story/anecdote technique, signposting, survival tactics.
- 3. EXPLOITING VISUALS TO MAXIMUM EFFECT - introducing visuals, commenting on visuals, description: shapes, trends, changes and developments.
- 4. CAUSE, EFFECT AND PURPOSE - key words and phrases for linking ideas, giving facts and reasons behind them, linking the parts, sequences/ordering, comparing, digressing, contradicting, giving examples.
- 5. USING YOUR VOICE - articulation, chunking, stress, pacing, intonation, well-known sayings, idioms, sound-scripting.
- 6. THE RIGHT KIND OF LANGUAGE - advantages of speaking versus reading, personal and impersonal language styles, changing written language to spoken language, emphasis.
- 7. FURTHER BASIC TECHNIQUES 1 - focusing, softening, repetition, rhetorical questions.
- 8. FURTHER BASIC TECHNIQUES 2 - dramatic contrasts, tripling, machine gunning.
- 9. FURTHER BASIC TECHNIQUES 3 - build-ups , knock-downs, simplification, creating rapport.
- 10. BODY LANGUAGE - eye contact, facial expression, hands, movement, posture.
- 11. KEY LANGUAGE - business terms, formality, useful expressions.
- 12. HANDLING QUESTIONS FROM THE AUDIENCE - types of questions.
- 13. Review.
- required literature
- Presentation Skills exercise book - available in the online materials.
- Teaching methods
- individual and group projects, presentations, class discussion
- Assessment methods
- Type of lesson:
Final mark awarded after the following requirements have been met:
- 80% attendance;
- completion of homework;
- presentation of three given topics;
- active participation in class.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
General note: Předmět je určen pouze pro zahraniční studenty.
- Teacher's information
- This course is aimed at improving presentation skills as well as general language skills and therefore is not suitable for native speakers of English.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/econ/spring2022/BPJ_PJIE