PdF:AJ1202 Phonetics and Phonology B - Course Information
AJ1202 Phonetics and Phonology BFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/2/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Irena Headlandová Kalischová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Irena Hůlková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Irena Headlandová Kalischová, Ph.D.
Department of English Language and Literature - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Jana Popelková
Supplier department: Department of English Language and Literature - Faculty of Education
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- AJ1202/Kombi01: Fri 5. 3. 10:00–12:50 učebna 64, Fri 19. 3. 10:00–12:50 učebna 64, Fri 9. 4. 10:00–12:50 učebna 64, Fri 23. 4. 10:00–12:50 učebna 64, Fri 7. 5. 10:00–12:50 učebna 64, Fri 21. 5. 10:00–12:50 učebna 5, I. Headlandová Kalischová
AJ1202/Kombi02: Fri 12. 3. 10:00–12:50 učebna 64, Fri 26. 3. 10:00–12:50 učebna 64, Fri 16. 4. 10:00–12:50 učebna 64, Fri 30. 4. 10:00–12:50 učebna 64, Fri 14. 5. 10:00–12:50 učebna 64, Fri 21. 5. 10:00–12:50 učebna 5, I. Headlandová Kalischová
AJ1202/Prez01: Tue 8:00–9:50 učebna 64, I. Headlandová Kalischová
AJ1202/Prez02: Tue 10:00–11:50 učebna 64, I. Headlandová Kalischová
AJ1202/Prez03: Thu 8:00–9:50 učebna 64, I. Hůlková
- AJ1201 Phonetics and Phonology A
The student is supposed to have attended the first semester of the foundational pronunciation course (Phonetics and Phonology A).
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 12 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The course has 2 parts, theoretical (a lecture) and practical (a seminar). The aim of the lecture is to lay a sufficient theoretical foundation for an insightful,focused practical training in the seminar accompanying it.The student will get an overview of the English phonological system in comparison with Czech,will be acquainted with the structure of the English syllable as well as the basics of suprasegmental phenomena (word stress,sentence stress,aspects of connected speech such as assimilation,elision and linking and intonation) as these apply to English and especially to the problems of teaching English to future Czech teachers of English.As this is the first systematic linguistics course in the students' program of study,attention will paid to the bulding of proper terminology and assistance in the gradual development of the students' linguistic thinking in the process of grasping the linguistic reality ,in this case on the spoken level. The seminar is designed as a practical follow-up of the lecture.
- Learning outcomes
- Students will be acquainted with the classification of English phonemes, they will be able to produce suprasegmental features of connected speech, i.e. linking, rhythm, intonation. They will be able to identify phonological changes occurring in fast speech, such as elision or assimilation. Students - as future English teachers - will be aware of the set of phonemes difficult for Czech users of English as well as of various teaching strategies to help these learners.
- 1.English phonological system-introduction 2.An overview of English consonants 3.An overview of English vowels 4.The phoneme and the sound 5.The stucture of the English syllable 6.Word stress in English-basic rules 7.Aspects of connected speech - linking and rhythm 8.Aspects of connected speech-assimilation 9.Aspects of connected speech-elision 10.English intonation - basic intonation patterns and their use
- ROACH, Peter. English phonetics and phonology : a practical course. Fourth edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009. xi, 231. ISBN 9780521888820. info
- interaktivní osnova v Informační systému MU
- set of handouts (unpublished)
- URBANOVÁ, Ludmila. A Handbook of English Phonetics and Phonology. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, Pedagogická fakulta, 1998. 67 pp. textbook publication. ISBN 80-210-1728-7. info
- GIMSON, Alfred Charles. Gimson's pronunciation of English. Edited by Alan Cruttenden. 5th ed. London: Arnold, 1994. xv, 304 s. ISBN 0-340-70021-1. info
- Teaching methods
- přednášky, skupinové diskuse, drily, domácí úkoly, praktická cvičení v jazykové laboratoři
- Assessment methods
- The course finishes with a written test containing both theoretical and practical aspects of the subject matter. The oral part takes place during an interview for the Practical Language class (the passmark is 70% for both). The final grade is the average of the scores from the written and oral parts.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: kombinované studium: výuka v blocích.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/spring2021/AJ1202