PdF:AJ1401 Basics of English Methodology - Course Information
AJ1401 Basics of English Methodology 1Faculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- PhDr. Alena Dobrovolná, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Alena Dobrovolná, Ph.D.
Department of English Language and Literature - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Jana Popelková
Supplier department: Department of English Language and Literature - Faculty of Education
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- AJ1102 Practical Language 1B
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 12 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- Students will
- be introduced in the issues of didactics of English language;
- get acquainted with the fundamentals and importance of self-reflection;
- learn about roles of the teacher of foreign languages and his/her competences;
- learn about the needs of students of different age groups;
- get to know teaching materials which respect the specifics of different age groups.
- Learning outcomes
- Student will:
- explain the basic principles of English language teaching;
- understand the role of a foreign language teacher;
- understand the specifics of foreign language teaching to different age groups;
- be able to use the target language with the view to age and individual differences;
- understand the concept of self-reflection;
- write a short reflective report in which (s)he evaluates his/her current teaching experience;
- be able to set the goals of his/her professional development;
- be able to find an appropriate teaching material including the supplementary one;
- prepare the list of books and internet resources which (s)he will in future use when choosing suitable materials for their teaching;
- be able to give feedback and positively react to the feedback given by the teacher and other students.
- 1 English language teacher: roles of the teacher, teacher's qualities.
- 2 English language teacher: content knowledge and didactic content knowledge.
- 3 Teacher: self-reflection. EPOSTL (European Portfolio for Student Teachers of Languages).
- 4 The basic principles of class management in foreign language teaching.
- 5 Class dynamics.
- 6 Learner: motivation.
- 7 Learner: age differences and needs.
- 8 Learner: individual specifics.
- 9 System of the foreign language: skills, language means.
- 10 How we learn foreign languages.
- 11 Teaching materials and basic principles of their selection.
- 12 Basic principles of selecting supplementary materials.
- recommended literature
- UR, Penny. A course in English language teaching. 2nd ed. New York: Cambridge University, 2012. x, 325. ISBN 9781107684676. info
- HARMER, Jeremy. Essential teacher knowledge : core concepts in English language teaching. First published. Harlow: Pearson Education Limited, 2012. 287 stran. ISBN 9781408268049. info
- HARMER, Jeremy. How to teach English : new edition. Harlow: Longman, 2007. 288 s. ISBN 9781405853026. info
- SCRIVENER, Jim. Learning teaching : a guidebook for English language teachers. 2nd ed. Oxford: Macmillan, 2005. 431 s. ISBN 1405013990. info
- Teaching methods
- Class discussions, reading analysis.
- Assessment methods
- active participation, forum discussions, journal, reflective paper, EPOSTL: personal statement.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
Note related to how often the course is taught: kombinované studium: výuka v blocích.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: kombinované studium: výuka v blocích.
- Teacher's information
Students are requested to secure good internet connection in order to participate in online lessons as indicated in the schedule. Students must attend these meetings with both the sound and camera on.