PdF:AJ5417 Using translation in English L - Course Information
AJ5417 Using translation in English Language TeachingFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/1/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Mgr. Bc. Michaela Sojková Šamalová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Alena Dobrovolná, Ph.D.
Department of English Language and Literature - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Jana Popelková
Supplier department: Department of English Language and Literature - Faculty of Education
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- AJ5417/01: Sat 20. 3. 14:00–18:10 učebna 11, Sat 15. 5. 14:00–18:10 učebna 11, M. Sojková Šamalová
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 19/20, only registered: 0/20, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/20
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 32 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course labelled Using translation in English Language Teaching is to present translation as one of effective means of language teaching and learning and to explore the use of pedagogic translation in the language class . The course will introduce different approaches to translation and terms related to it (e.g. use of mother tongue) and present a wide range of translation activities which can be used by English teachers. At the end of the course, the students will be able to a)define different concepts of translation and to discuss the issue of using pedagogical translation in ELT. Students will be able to plan, prepare and employ a wide range of translation activities in their own teaching. Moreover, in order to prepare translation activities, students will be able to identify and use appropriate reference materials and technological resources.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course, the students will be able to a)define different concepts of translation and to discuss the issue of using pedagogical translation in ELT. Students will be able to plan, prepare and employ a wide range of translation activities in their own teaching. Moreover, in order to prepare translation activities, students will be able to identify and use appropriate reference materials and technological resources.
- 1. Translation. Pedagogic translation.
- 2. Different approaches to translation: from the Grammar-translation method to the Communicative approach.
- 3. Advantages and limits of translation.
- 4. Teaching and learning goals. Learning strategies.
- 5. Translation activities.
- 6. The use of dictionaries.
- required literature
- Approaches and methods in language teaching : a description and analysis. Edited by Jack C. Richards - Theodore S. Rodgers. 7. vyd. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1991. viii, 171. ISBN 0521320933. info
- not specified
- LEONARDI, Vanessa. The role of pedagogical translation in second language acquisition : from theory to practice. New York: Peter Lang, 2010. 178 s. ISBN 9783034300872. info
- DUFF, Alan. Translation. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1989. 160 s. ISBN 0194371042. info
- STERN, H. H. Fundamental concepts of language teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1983. 582 s. ISBN 0194370658. info
- Teaching methods
- Lecture, class discussion and on-line discussion, pair work, group work, brainstorming, assignments in Moodlinka, observation.
- Assessment methods
- Attendance at two face-to-face sessions. Completion of all tasks in moodlinka (discussion contributions, feedback). Preparation of a presentation (i.e. practical demonstration) of one translation activity. Teaching practice tasks.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
General note: Předmět bude realizován, pokud se přihlásí alespoň 15 studentů.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 12 hodin ve 2 blocích.
- Teacher's information
- Spring 2021: The course and the final assessment will be done online.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/spring2021/AJ5417