PdF:Ze0156 Didactics of Geography 2 - Course Information
Ze0156 Didactics of Geography 2Faculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Mgr. Tereza Češková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PaedDr. Eduard Hofmann, CSc. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Petr Knecht, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Darina Mísařová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Radomír Talafa (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PaedDr. Eduard Hofmann, CSc.
Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Kateřina Brabcová
Supplier department: Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
- Mon 11:00–11:50 učebna 5
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
Ze0156/02: Wed 9:00–9:50 učebna 5a, E. Hofmann
- The course takes place in parallel with the school practice and reflective seminars. The subject synthesizes and applies the knowledge gained in the study of partial geographic disciplines and subjects of pedagogy and psychology.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in Geography (programme PdF, N-TV)
- Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in Geography (programme PdF, N-ZE2) (2)
- Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in Geography (programme PdF, N-ZS)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to prepare the students for the professional career of a teacher, which is based not only in the transfer of professional knowledge, but also in the creation of creative learning tasks and school curriculum. The course is divided into lectures and exercises. In the lectures the theoretical bases and context of the relevant topics are presented, which are subsequently elaborated in exercises.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course students will be able to:
Explain what the gap between theory and geography education means.
To characterize historical developmental stages of geographic education in the Czech Republic;
Compare the geography curriculum in the Czech Republic with selected countries;
Plan geography lessons with special regard to the requirement of continuity and progression in the curriculum.
To provide a preparation of one geography lesson and to justify with the support of the theoretical knowledge (a) educational significance of the contents for the pupil, (b) set goals, (c) methods and strategies used, (d) didactic media, and (e) way of evaluating pupils .
To justify the importance of pedagogical research for further development of geographic curriculum and for the school practice;
To characterize and apply in practice selected online resources for teaching geography.
To develop a school education program.
- Gap between theory and practice of geography education.
- Historical development of geography education. International Charter of Geographical Education.
- Continuity and progression in geography education. Two-level curriculum model in the Czech Republic.
- Standards of Geography Education.
- Planning and preparation of teaching, analysis, reflection and assessment of teaching.
- Didactic media in geography education
- Fieldwork in geography education.
- Assessment of pupils in geography education.
- Geography teacher and his/her professional development. Research in geography education.
- Online resources to support teaching of geography.
- required literature
- BIDDULPH, Mary, David LAMBERT and David BALDERSTONE. Learning to teach geography in the secondary school : a companion to school experience. Third edition. London: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2015. xi, 349. ISBN 9781138779440. info
- recommended literature
- Geography for life : national geography standards. Edited by Susan Gallagher Heffron - Roger M. Downs - Susan Wiley Hardwick. 2nd ed. Washington: National Council for Geographic Education, 2012. vi, 118. ISBN 9781884136412. info
- BEST, Brin. The geography teacher's handbook. New York, N.Y.: Continuum, 2011. 171 s. ISBN 9781441146205. info
- Reflective practice in geography teaching. Edited by Ashley Kent. London: Paul Chapman, 2000. xiv, 306. ISBN 0761969829. info
- not specified
- Debates in geography education. Edited by David Lambert - Mark Jones. 1st pub. New York: Routledge, 2013. xvi, 320. ISBN 9780415687799. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures. Individual, pair and group work with information resources. Presentation of individual / pair / group work results at the seminar and subsequent discussion.
- Assessment methods
- Written text followed by oral examination.
Elaboration of given seminar works, timely submission and approval by the teacher of the subject.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/spring2021/Ze0156