ESF:BKR_EKGE Economic Geography - Course Information
BKR_EKGE Economic GeographyFaculty of Economics and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 26/0/0. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. RNDr. Josef Kunc, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Petr Tonev, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. RNDr. Josef Kunc, Ph.D.
Department of Regional Economics and Administration - Faculty of Economics and Administration
Contact Person: Ing. Iveta Suchomelová Vašíčková
Supplier department: Department of Regional Economics and Administration - Faculty of Economics and Administration
- Fri 20. 9. 16:00–19:50 P102, Fri 1. 11. 12:00–15:50 P102
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The knowledge gained in this course provides a thorough basis for spatial perception of socio-economic activities. Students will be gradually presented with: basic methods and techniques used in economic geography, classification of countries of the world according to their economic-geographic or political-geographic features, geography of population and settlement, geography of industry, agriculture, transport, communications, communications networks, services, trade and recreation. The aim of the course is to present and transfer the knowledge which will enable students to understand the relationship between the geographic aspects of countries or regions and the condition and development of their economy.
- 1. Theory and methodology of economic geography. The object, functions and development of economic geography. History of geography. The cognitive role of geography. Internal and disciplinary classification of economic geography. Geographic data, techniques and their processing methods.
- 2. - 4. Geography of population. Information base and methods of investigation. Population development, distribution, dynamics a structure.
- 5. Geography of settlements. Basic characteristics of settlement system. Rural settlements. Formation and development of towns. Function of towns. Urbanizations processes, settlement systems. Town and hinterland.
- 6. Geography of trade and services. The significance and role of the tertiary sector. Localization and hierarchy of service and retail activities. Service regions. Territorial and commodity structure of the international trade.
- 7. Regions, geographic regionalization. Regional geography. Regions, theory and structure of the region. Regionalization, methods of delimitating regions.
- 8. Geography of agriculture. Contribution of agriculture to world nutrition. World production, consumption and export of foodstuffs (vegetable, livestock and fish production). Influence of natural and social economic factors on agriculture. Basic characteristics of present world agriculture.
- 9. Geography of industry. The significance and role of industry in world economy. Localization theory and localization factors in industry.
- 10. - 11. Geographic methods of evaluating industry. Raw material base of industrial production. Sectoral structure of industry. Development and recent tendencies of world industrial production.
- 12. Geography of transportation. Development of transportation. Impact of geographic factors on transportation. Classification and types of transportation. Recent trends in world transportation. Communications and telecommunications.
- 13. Geography of tourism and recreation. Territorial organization of tourism. The economic role of tourism. International tourism. Recent problems and tendencies of tourism in the Czech Republic.
- Teaching methods
- The course takes the form of a lecture. The lecture (8 hours) is divided into two parts. The main emphasis is laid on self-study.
- Assessment methods
- Written test, oral exam.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
General note: nezapisují si studenti, kteří absolvovali předmět BKR_EG.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: tutoriál 8 hodin.
- Information about innovation of course.
- This course has been innovated under the project "Inovace studia ekonomických disciplín v souladu s požadavky znalostní ekonomiky (CZ.1.07/2.2.00/28.0227)" which is cofinanced by the European Social Fond and the national budget of the Czech Republic.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/econ/autumn2019/BKR_EKGE