ESF:DXR_RERS Regional research seminar - Course Information
DXR_RERS Regional research seminarFaculty of Economics and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 24/0/0. 8 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Univ.-Prof. Doz. Dr. Manfred Manuel Fischer (lecturer)
doc. Ing. Vladimír Žítek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Ing. Viktorie Klímová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Ing. Vladimír Žítek, Ph.D.
Department of Regional Economics and Administration - Faculty of Economics and Administration
Supplier department: Department of Regional Economics and Administration - Faculty of Economics and Administration
- Fri 28. 2. 10:00–14:00 433, Fri 17. 4. 10:00–14:00 433, Wed 6. 5. 10:00–14:00 433, Fri 15. 5. 10:00–14:00 433
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 26 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the component aspects of the elaboration and publication of a scientific article in the field of regional economics. A part of this goal is to teach students to identify an appropriate research topic, prepare individual parts of the article, discuss their own achievements, and complete the final article.
- Learning outcomes
- After completing this course the students will be able to:
- process the critical review of literature,
- understand the different methodological approaches used in regional research,
- position their own research into a wider framework of regional research,
- prepare a scientific article related to the topic of the dissertation thesis,
- choose a suitable journal for the presentation of their own research.
- Regional research: selection of a research topic and suitable journal
- Literature and information sources in regional economics and their critical reflection
- Elaboration of scientific article and the review process
- required literature
- Handbook of research methods and applications in spatially integrated social science. Edited by R. J. Stimson. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, 2014. xv, 663. ISBN 9780857932969. info
- ISARD, Walter. Methods of interregional and regional analysis. Aldershot: Ashgate, 1998. xxiii, 490. ISBN 1-85972-410-8. info
- recommended literature
- KOPCZEWSKA, Katarzyna, Paweł CHURSKI, Artur OCHOJSKI and Adam POLKO. Measuring regional specialisation : a new approach. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan, 2017. xxxi, 466. ISBN 9783319515045. info
- Handbook of research methods and applications in urban economies. Edited by Peter Karl Kresl - Jaime Sobrino. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, 2013. xvi, 252. ISBN 9780857934611. info
- Teaching methods
- Block teaching in the total range of 24 hours (4 blocks per six hours) consists of lectures and training parts, where the first and last blocks take the form of a joint meeting, and blocks 2 and 3 take the form of individual consultations with the supervisor. The course is based on an active participation of students and discussion of their practical outputs. Within the homework tasks, the students continuously prepare the individual parts of a journal article and consult them with their supervisor. The results of their work are discussed in the last teaching block. The completed article will be submitted to an external reviewed journal. The thematic focus of the article has to correspond to the topic of the students' dissertation thesis.
- Assessment methods
- The overall assessment is based on the assessment of two partial activities: active participation in lessons and consultations, and fulfillment of homework (40%) and elaboration of the scientific article, which will be submitted to an external reviewed journal before the final evaluation (60%).
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
- Information about innovation of course.
- This course has been established under the project "Creation of research oriented postgraduate study programme Regional Economics (CZ.02.2.69/0.0/0.0/16_018/0002596)" which is co-financed by the European Social Fund and the national budget of the Czech Republic.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/econ/spring2020/DXR_RERS