ESF:PVEKNO Economy of Non-profit - Course Information
PVEKNO Economy of Non-profit OrganisationsFaculty of Economics and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/2/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. Ing. Vladimír Hyánek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Simona Škarabelová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Ing. Vladimír Hyánek, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Zuzana Prouzová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Simona Škarabelová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Ing. Vladimír Hyánek, Ph.D.
Department of Public Economics - Faculty of Economics and Administration
Contact Person: Lenka Jílková
- Tue 9:20–11:00 P312
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
PVEKNO/2: No timetable has been entered into IS. V. Hyánek, Z. Prouzová
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- EVSE Economy of Public Sector || PVEVSE Economy of Public Sector
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The course focuses on a practical analysis of the specific characteristics of non-profit sector organisations, based on various types of their activity and methods of their funding, and presented through the following topics: reasons of existence, typology of organisations, mission, functions, processes, complex economy - utility, performances, costs, receipts, calculations, prices, taxes; norms, provisions, limits, standards; budgeting, fundraising; investment, innovation, efficiency, management - planning, organising, control, personnel policy, leadership, external environment - marketing.
The subject matter of lectures is developed further in seminars, and illustrated with concrete cases of different non-profit organisations. Prerequisites for studying the subject include Public Economics , Economics of the Public Sector and partly Corporate Economics (comparison of running a company in profit and non-profit sectors).
- 1. Basic information about the course. Specification of the position of the non-profit sector within the national economy. Various approaches to this subject.
- 2. Non-profit sector history. Economic theories of the non-profit sector.
- 3. NPOs in the international perspective. Economic indicators, employment, regional patterns.
- 4. Mission, goals and activities of the non-profit sector.
- 5. Foundations and endowement funds; legislative framework, perspectives.
- 6. Public benefit corporations and church-run organizations.
- 7. Non-profit organizations financing. Government grant policy towards the non-profit sector.
- 8. Fundraising, writing up grant proposals.
- 9. Management, marketing and PR. Strategic planning of NPOs.
- 10. Acounting, taxing, auditing.
- 11. Voluntary work within the non-profit sector.
- REKTOŘÍK, Jaroslav. Organizace neziskového sektoru. Základy ekonomiky, teorie a řízení. Druhé aktualizované vydání (Organizations of non profit sector. Basics of economy, theory and management. Second updated edition.). Druhé, aktualizované. Praha: Ekopress, s.r.o., 2007. 187 pp. ISBN 978-80-86929-25-5. info
- ŠKARABELOVÁ, Simona. Když se řekne nezisková organizace (All about Non-Profit Organization). 1. vydání. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2002. 130 pp. Příručka. ISBN 80-210-3031-3. info
- Assessment methods
- Credit requirements include elaborating a management project in a selected non-profit organization. The course is concluded with an oral exam. Students are eligible to take the exam provided that they fulfill the condition of writing and presenting a seminar paper.
Students are required to pass a midterm and final tests to be eligible to take the oral exam.
If students commit a prohibited act, such as using various forbidden tools, cribbing, taking out any part of the exam or any other cheating, the teacher is allowed to interrupt an exam and to grade a student with F, FF or FFF according to the seriousness of the offence. The mentioned procedure relates to all the activities that are included in the final evaluation of the course (seminar work, essays, tests etc.).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
Information on course enrolment limitations: 10 pouze přednáška
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/econ/spring2009/PVEKNO