ESF:MKP_PRFI Law and Finance - Course Information
MKP_PRFI Law and FinanceFaculty of Economics and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- JUDr. Jindřiška Šedová, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- JUDr. Jindřiška Šedová, CSc.
Department of Law - Faculty of Economics and Administration
Contact Person: JUDr. Jindřiška Šedová, CSc.
- ! KPPAFI Law and Finance
The course builds on the basic knowledge and skills in the area:
- teory of the law
- the legal regulations of business organizations
- business-law contractual relationships.
The students get the knowledge in the Basic Law course and the Business Law I.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
- Course objectives
- The course is designed as an introduction to the issue of financial services consumer protection. Structurewise, it is composed of four thematic blocks. The introductory part of the course deals with the EU consumer policy strategy and consumer protection in the EU. It also provides definitions of the main consumer protection terms. The second part treats the mechanism of enforcement of compliance with substantive rules of consumer protection . Attention is paid to both public and private consumer protection viewed from the point of view of its purpose and protected interests, institutions in authority, sanctions, resolution of disputes by way of court and out-of-court proceedings. The third part looks at the specifics of consumer protection in the main segments of the financial market with an emphasis on clarification of consumer rights to information prior to contract signing and on the ethical approach compliance when providing financial services. The final part introduces the rules of application for the recovery of claims for financial services consumers in civil court proceedings, by way of reinsurance, in liquidation, in bankruptcy proceedings, in arbitration, by way of out-of-court dispute settlements, through a collecting office or SOLVIT, consequences of lapse and claim limitation.
- 1. General questions related to consumer protection.
- A. The EU consumer politics strategy. The EU consumer protection development. The EU consumer protection. Definition of main terms used in the consumer protection legal regulation in the Czech Republic: consumer, consumer status, consumer protection (the purpose of protection, protected interests), etc.
- B. Consumer protection methods (1).
- Mechanism of enforcement of compliance with substantive rules of consumer protection.
- A. Public protection.
- - the purpose of the protection, protected interests;
- - institutions in authority.
- 2. Consumer protection methods (2).
- - breach of substantive rules;
- - consequences of public consumer protection. Administrative supervision and sanctions.
- 3. Consumer protection methods (3).
- B. Private protection.
- - the purpose of the protection, protected interests;
- - institutions in authority;
- - decision-making in the case of a dispute.
- a) Commencement of court proceedings, decision, remedial measures.
- b) Out-of-court dispute settlement – rules for out-of-court proceedings.
- - how to proceed when filing a guarantee claim.
- 4. Consumer protection in the main segments of the financial market (1).
- A. Banking (types of banking contracts, client protection – right to information prior to contract signing, code of ethics in banking and client standards of banks, bank secret).
- B. Consumer credits.
- 5. Client protection in the main segments of the financial market (2).
- C. Financial mediation (types of contracts, code of ethics in financial mediation, services provided under Trade Act, services provided in conformity with special regulations, client protection, etc.)
- D. Investment activity and financial markets (investment ethics, investor protection).
- 6. Client protection in the main segments of the financial market (3).
- E. Leasing (lease contract, ethics of leasing services provision, investor protection).
- F. Contributory pension scheme (contract of contributory pension scheme, pension funds' duty to inform, ethics of contributory pension scheme provision, client protection).
- G. Insurance business (contract of insurance, client protection – right to information prior to contract signing, compliance with ethical principles when providing insurance).
- 7. Application for the recovery of claim made by financial services consumers (in civil court proceedings, by way of reinsurance, in liquidation, in bankruptcy proceedings, in arbitration, by way of out-of-court dispute settlements, collecting office or SOLVIT, limitation and lapse).
- Consultations will take place in 3 blocks looking at the following themes:
- Consultation No. 1, topics 1-3
- Consultation No. 2, topics 4-5
- Consultation No. 3, topics 6-7.
- Detailed information on the course content and instruction is available in the Study materials in the Information system.
- required literature
- ŠEDOVÁ, J. Studijní texty "Právo a finance“. ESF Brno 2011, přístupné v IS ESF MU: IS/Studijní materiály předmětu/Učební texty/.
- SELUCKÁ, M. Ochrana spotřebitele v soukromém právu., Praha : C.H.Beck, 2008. ISBN 8074000371
- recommended literature
- Zákony: Aktuální seznam bude zveřejněn v ISU/ve Studijních materiálech předmětu.
- Teaching methods
- Lectures on weekend blocks.
- Assessment methods
- The course is carried out through distance learning. It finishes with a written exam. Students are allowed to take the final exam after the seminar work has been completed, handed over and marked by a tutor (POT) within a set time schedule.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: in blocks.
Note related to how often the course is taught: 12 hodin.
General note: Nezapisují si studenti, kteří absolvovali předmět KPPAFI.