FI:IV108 Bionformatics II - Course Information
IV108 Bionformatics IIFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: k (colloquium).
- Ing. Matej Lexa, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Ing. Matej Lexa, Ph.D.
Department of Machine Learning and Data Processing - Faculty of Informatics
Supplier department: Department of Machine Learning and Data Processing - Faculty of Informatics
- Mon 12:00–13:50 B117
- IV107 Bioinformatics I or consent of the teacher (not needed for biology students).
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 85 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- Introduction to selected algorithms and methods of analysis used in bioinformatics.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course, the students will:
understand the inner workings of selected algorithms, their advantages and disadvanteges, including knowledge of recent alternatives
be able to work with 3-D models of molecules
be able to evaluate or design methods for solving current problems in bioinformatics
understand the principles of existing DNA sequencing methods and processing sequencing data
- Algorithms for sequence analysis
- Algorithms for prediction and analysis of structural data
- Biological language
- Next-generation DNA sequencing methods and data processing
- Understanding protein cleavage and mass spectra
- Expression profile and promoter analysis
- BAUM, Jeremy O. Understanding bioinformatics. Edited by Marketa J. Zvelebil. New York, N.Y.: Garland Science, 2008. xxiii, 772. ISBN 9780815340249. info
- JONES, Neil C. and Pavel PEVZNER. An introduction to bioinformatics algorithms. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2004. xviii, 435. ISBN 0262101068. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures and exercises
- Assessment methods
- Bonus exercices, final exam.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Teacher's information
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fi/autumn2019/IV108