FI:MV008 Algebra I - Course Information
MV008 Algebra IFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. RNDr. Libor Polák, CSc. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Michal Kunc, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. RNDr. Libor Polák, CSc.
Faculty of Informatics
Supplier department: Faculty of Science
- Thu 14:00–15:50 G124
- ( MB005 Foundations of mathematics || MB101 Linear models || MB201 Linear models B ) && ! MB008 Algebra I
Prerequisites: MB005 Foundations of mathematics.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 8 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- After this course a student will be able to deal with the basic algebraic structures like monoids and groups and will understand calculating roots and irreducibility of polynomials. He/she will cope with an application in language theory.
- Groups (permutation groups, Cayley's theorems, subgroups and normal subgroups, quotient groups, homomorphisms, products, classification of cyclic groups).
- Polynomials over C, R, Q (multiplicity of zeros and the derivative, irreducible polynomials, Euklid's algorithm).
- Rings (ideals, factor rings, fields, skewfields).
- Teaching methods
- Once a week a standard lecture with a stress on motivation and examples.
- Assessment methods
- A written exam has tree parts: a completion of a text concerning (on advance) given theoretical issues, a calculation of a transformation monoid, and 3 tests problems where the students show the understanding the basics. It takes two hours. One half of possible points is needed for a success.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
General note: Předmět byl dříve vypisován pod kódem MB008.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information