FI:VB000 Elements of Style - Course Information
VB000 Elements of StyleFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Recommended Type of Completion: k (colloquium). Other types of completion: z (credit).
- prof. PhDr. Karel Pala, CSc. (lecturer), Mgr. Dana Hlaváčková, Ph.D. (deputy)
Mgr. Dana Hlaváčková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
PhDr. Petr Peňáz (lecturer)
Mgr. Ondřej Nečas (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Pavel Šmerk, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Zuzana Nevěřilová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Marie Stará (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Marie Valíčková (seminar tutor)
- doc. RNDr. Aleš Horák, Ph.D.
Department of Machine Learning and Data Processing - Faculty of Informatics
Contact Person: prof. PhDr. Karel Pala, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Machine Learning and Data Processing - Faculty of Informatics
- each even Thursday 12:00–13:50 D2
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
VB000/02: each odd Wednesday 12:00–13:50 B411, Z. Nevěřilová
VB000/03: each even Thursday 10:00–11:50 C416, D. Hlaváčková
VB000/04: each odd Thursday 10:00–11:50 C416, D. Hlaváčková
VB000/05: each even Tuesday 12:00–13:50 B411, P. Šmerk
VB000/06: each odd Tuesday 12:00–13:50 B411, P. Šmerk
VB000/07: each even Thursday 16:00–17:50 A218, P. Peňáz
- NOW ( SBAPR Bachelor Thesis )
Ability to communicate and write texts on the high school level requirements. Students are supposed to already have their bachelor's thesis topics selected.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 250 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 7/250, only registered: 0/250, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/250
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 17 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- At the end of this course students should be able: to master the principles of the positive communication, knowledge of communication barriers and the ways of their overcoming; to apply rules for writing technical texts in theory and practice; to acquire the basic skills for writing technical texts (introduction to Bachelor thesis and the state-of-the-art chapter); to recognize and correct spelling and grammatical errors in the technical texts; to possess a basic knowledge about orthography systems and the rules of language correctness; to prepare oral presentation about the given topic; to learn the basic rules of the correct argumentation; To sum up: students should be able to communicate and write both technical and normal texts with correct spelling and composition;
- Learning outcomes
- The students will:
determine the academic style main characteristics (formal, precise, structured, using hedging);
plan the written part of their bachelor thesis;
select appropriate academic resources for their domain;
summarise current state-of-the-art for their domain;
formulate the aim, methods, and results of their bachelor thesis;
cite appropriately academic resources;
- Communication maxims, basic principles of the positive communication.
- Communication barriers and the ways of their overcomning.
- Communication skills, practical writing
- Language and communication, various registers and styles.
- Language correctness, spelling, orthography, language support software.
- Colloquial and Common Czech, dialects, slangs.
- Writing technical and research documents, their composition, vertical and horizontal structuring, lexical features, terms, terminology.
- Oral and written presentations: talks, lectures, articles, posters etc.
- recommended literature
- KRATOCHVÍL, Jiří, Petr SEJK, Věra ELIÁŠOVÁ and Marek STEHLÍK. Metodika tvorby bibliografických citací. 2. vydání. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2011. Elportál. ISSN 1802-128X. PURL url info
- ŠANDEROVÁ, Jadwiga. Jak číst a psát odborný text ve společenských vědách. Praha: Sociologické nakladatelství, 2009. 209 pp. Studijní texty, 34. svazek. ISBN 978-80-86429-40-3. info
- JANOVEC, Ladislav, Lucie BUŠOVÁ, Adéla ŘÍHOVÁ and Markéta ŠAMALOVÁ. Na co se často ptáte. Jak používat čárku a další interpunkční znaménka. Praha: Klett nakladatelství, 2006. 135 pp. ISBN 80-86906-76-0. info
- ŠVANDOVÁ, Blažena and Milan JELÍNEK. Argumentace a umění komunikovat (Argumentation and the art of communication). první. Brno: PedF MU Brno, 1999. 330 pp. Monografie 74. ISBN 1-210-2186-1. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures, exercises and discussions in the class
- Assessment methods
- two written texts; oral presentation (video recorded and evaluated);
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught each semester.