FSpS:np2391 Economics and management of pr - Course Information
np2391 Economics and management of professional sports clubsFaculty of Sports Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/1/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. Ing. Jiří Novotný, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Bc. Oldřich Racek, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Ing. Jiří Novotný, CSc.
Department of Social Sciences and Sport Management - Faculty of Sports Studies
Supplier department: Department of Social Sciences and Sport Management - Faculty of Sports Studies
- Thu 12:00–13:40 A11/235
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
- The student has successfully completed undergraduate degree in Sports Management and was admitted to the N Mgr same field. Has sufficient knowledge especially in the field of management, marketing, mathematics and statistics, he is able to understand the functioning of the club and sporting events.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Management in Sport (programme FSpS, N-TV) (2)
- Course objectives
- To acquaint the students with the emergence of a professional sports club and professionalism; functioning and funding of domestic and foreign professional sports club in sports games; to the assessment of the competition and regulatory instruments; with general and specific legal standards; Students will acquire knowledge necessary for understanding economic principles of functioning of the professional club and its communication in relation to potential partners.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of this course, students will be able to understand and explain the workings of a professional sports club; explain differences in the functioning of the North American and European model of leagues, to assess the competitive balance of the individual leagues; explain the principles of valuation of players and clubs; in the context of teamwork will be able to use the acquired theoretical knowledge for the solution of concrete problems of the sporting practice.
- The structure of the sports an environment: associations, groups, clubs, national and international leagues etc.
- Differences between European and North American concepts of professional leagues in team sports games, differences in goals, individual and team sports
- Closed and open sport competition, used regulatory instruments, performance indicators of clubs and leagues
- Competitive balance leagues as an indicator of the quality of the league
- Professionalisation of the sport and its impact on sports legislation, labor relations, market players, market talented players
- Players' unions, collective bargaining
- The most important tax payments at a sports club in the Czech Republic, Europe and USA
- Financing: public sector – state, local government, EU, private sector – sponsorships, business
- Four models of financing according Andreffa, contributions from sport federations
- TV Rights: individual and collective sales, cost structure and revenue, compared with other countries
- Valuation of players, the labor market players, professional sports club in the competitive environment of the entertainment industry
- Valuation of sports club
- Sports fan as a specific client, clubs care about the fans and their cultivation, spectator violence
- required literature
- NOVOTNÝ, J. a kol. Sport v ekonomice. Praha. Wolters Kluwer. 2011. ISBN 978-80-7357-666-0
- recommended literature
- NOVOTNÝ, J a kol. Ekonomika sportu – vybrané kapitoly. Vysoká škola ekonomická v Praze, fakulta podnikohospodářská.: Praha 2009. ISBN 978-80-245-1521-2
- NOVOTNÝ, J. Ekonomika sportu – vybrané kapitoly II. Vysoká škola ekonomická v Praze, fakulta podnikohospodářská.: Praha 2010. ISBN 978-80-245-1701-8
- Teaching methods
- - lectures
- individual home study
- small group class discussion
- presentations by professionals in the sectors reading
- discussions, educational films
- Assessment methods
- two written tests, min. 40 % correct answers in each test, oral exam 60 %; proportion of tests on the final rating of 40 %; for the successful completion must be to reach at least 60% of a possible 100 percent.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fsps/autumn2019/np2391