FSS:BSS155 Guerilla - Course Information
BSS155 GuerillaFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. JUDr. PhDr. Miroslav Mareš, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jakub Drmola, Ph.D. (seminar tutor), Mgr. Lucie Konečná (deputy)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. JUDr. PhDr. Miroslav Mareš, Ph.D.
Department of Political Science - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Bc. Lucie Pospíšilová
Supplier department: Division of Security and Strategic Studies - Department of Political Science - Faculty of Social Studies
- Tue 18:00–19:40 U35
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 23 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- This course is intended as scientific overview of the guerilla and partisan activities in the history and in the contemporary world. Students should be able to understand and to explain specific character of guerilla and partisan war. Students should be able to analyze elements of guerilla and partisan warafare in political context of various areas.
- 1. Introduction to the study of partisans and guerilla; 2. Definition of partisans and guerilla; 3. Theory of partisan and guerilla warafare; 4. Theory of counter-guerilla warfare; 5. Partisans and guerilla to 1914. 6. Partisans and guerilla 1914-1938. 7. Partisans and guerilla 1939-1945 8. Partisans and guerilla 1946-1989 9. Contemporary guerilla in America 10. Contemporary guerilla in Europe 11. Contemporary guerilla in Asia 12. Contemporary guerilla in Europe 13. Contemporary guerilla in Oceania
- Extended valid list of literature is in the IS (study materials)
- STÝSKALÍKOVÁ, Věra. UCK: Terorismus nebo guerilla? (KLA- Terorrism or guerilla?). In SOULEIMANOV, Emil. Terorismus: válka proti státu. první. Praha: Eurolex Bohemia, 2006. p. 203-224, 21 pp. edice. ISBN 80-86861-76-7. info
- MAREŠ, Miroslav. Vymezení pojmů terorismus, válka a guerilla v soudobé bezpečnostní terminologii (Definition of the terms terrorism, war and guerilla in contemporary security terminology). Obrana a strategie, Brno: ÚSS VA, 2004, vol. 4, No 1, p. 19-32. ISSN 1214-6463. URL info
- LAQUEUR, Walter. Guerrilla warfare : a historical & critical study. New Brunswick, N.J.: Transaction Publishers, 1998. xx, 462. ISBN 0765804069. info
- Teaching methods
- The course takes the form of both lectures and seminars. There are explained basic thesis guerilla warfare within lectures, which are further discussed during seminars. Presentation of students' seminar works is a part of a seminar.
- Assessment methods
- Students will receive a final letter grade (A-F) for the semester based on the following components (at least 36 points are necessary): 12 points: seminary thesis 6 points: presentation of outline of thesis. 6 points: in-term test 36 points: final test Grading: 56-60: A; 51-55: B; 46-50: C; 41-45: D; 36-40 E; 35-0: F.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses