FSS:CJVA302 Current political events in En - Course Information
CJVA302 Current political events in English speaking countriesFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Colin Kimbrell (lecturer)
Mgr. Dana Plíšková (assistant)
Mgr. et Mgr. Petra Trávníková, Ph.D. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Colin Kimbrell
Language Centre Faculty of Social Studies Division - Language Centre
Contact Person: Mgr. et Mgr. Petra Trávníková, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Language Centre Faculty of Social Studies Division - Language Centre
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- (( FAKULTA ( FSS )&& TYP_STUDIA ( BMN ) && FORMA ( P ))||( OBOR ( MUSFSS )))
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 15 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/15, only registered: 73/15
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 49 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- This is a course for students of international relations and related fields. The main focus of the seminar is on discussing current issues in world politics, based on watching videos concerning these issues and reading newspaper and/or journal articles. Great attention is also paid to building vocabulary both from the field of international relations and Academic English as such. The content of the course will be formed and adjusted to students' needs and preferences discussed in the first seminar.
- Learning outcomes
- Student will be able to:
discuss current issues in today's world in English
write a position paper on the particular topic
collaborate in a project aimed at presenting these topics to others
understand authentic videos and audios on these issues
- The topics will be selected based on the discussion with students in the first seminar of the course.
- Teaching methods
- discussions, listening to/watching current events and political speeches, reading newspaper articles and academic texts, presentations, written assignments
- Assessment methods
- Active and regular participation.
Delivering a presentation on a topic related to the course syllabus.
Giving several leads on current political issues.
Writing an argumentative text/position paper.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/autumn2020/CJVA302