FSS:ENSb1203 Environmental Education - Course Information
ENSb1203 Environmental EducationFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/1/0. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. PhDr. Jan Činčera, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. et Mgr. Michal Medek (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Jan Činčera, Ph.D.
Department of Environmental Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Bc. Petra Burišková
Supplier department: Department of Environmental Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
- each odd Wednesday 8:00–11:40 U33
- ! ENS203 Environmental Education &&! NOW ( ENS203 Environmental Education )
No prerequisities needed for this course.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 40 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 18/40, only registered: 0/40, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/40
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Environmental Studies (programme FSS, B-ENV) (5)
- Course objectives
- Students get overview on theory and practice of environmental education (EE), its development in abroad and in the Czech Republic, and with various approaches existing in the field. They get overview about delivery of EE in formal, nonformal, and informal education and about various types of organisations dealing with EE in the Czech Republic and in abroad. They will discuss selected theoretical issues of EE and compare various strategies for achieving the goals for EE for different age groups. They will learn to design simple EE programmes. They will be provided with information about financial sources for their own EE projects.
1. Discuss strong and week points of approaches and strategies of EE.
2. They evaluate strong and week points of visited EE programmes.
3. They describe selected EE organisations and programmes they provide.
- Learning outcomes
- After succesfully completing the course, students will be able to
- assess the quality of an environmental education program and suggest its modifications;
- assess a program offer of centers for environmental education;
- compare existing approaches in environmental education and assess their strong and weak points.
- The course covers the following topics.
Development of EE Goal: students in follow-up reflexion and on-line discussion comment articles important for development of EE and evaluate them from their own point of view.
Origins of EE. H. Hungerford, S. van Matre, J. Cornell. Action competence. Education for sustainable development.
- Age specifics of target groups of EE
Goal: student apply their knowledge of development psychology on EE programmes. They learn EE approaches for pre-school children
A. Developmental psychology and its application in EE, message from E. Strejckova, forest kindergarten.
B. Case studies: Forest kindergarten, Ozone programme.
- Introducing of environmental education (EE)
Goal: students reflect their experience with EE, evaluate what was interesting, what correspondents with their concept, and what does not.
- Environmental education in the Czech Republic
Goal: Students get overview about grounding of EE in formal education and in broad offer of EE programmes in the field of non-formal education. They learn the basic methodical documents and how they can apply them for evaluating visited programmes.
A. Grounding of EE in formal education, goals of EE, Free-time institutions, EE centers, environmental counselling.
B. Case studies: annual reports of EE centers, EE programme Butterfly Day, Challenge summer camp in Karpaty, Ecoschool.
- Goals of EE and strategies for their achievement
Goal: Students compare recommencations for programmes for development selected goals of EE with visited EE programmes.
A. Affinity with nature, sense of place, ecological principles, inquiry skills, environmental problems and issues, action competence: what are supposed initial competence of pupils, what strategies are probably effective, examples of evaluated programmes.
B. Case studies: NaZemi: Supermarket World, GLOBE, Explorers.cz
- EE programme theory
Goal: Students reflect basic procedure for programme designing and apply them for evaluating of visited EE programes.
A. Impact theory and proccess theory, designing of logic model. Selected proccess models based in constructivism or experiential education (Kolb's cycle, E-U-R, 4MAT). Motivational means, theme, organizer. Guidelines for designing of a new programme.
B. Case studies: Earthkeepers, Koreny (Roots)
- Presentation of evaluated programmes Goal: students present visited EE programmes and evaluate their strong and week aspects.
The course is taught in cooperation of Ass. Prof. Jan Činčera, Ph.D. and Michal Medek MA, MSc.
- required literature
- ČINČERA, Jan. Environmentální výchova: efektivní strategie (Environmental education: effective strategies). 1. vyd. Praha: BEZK, Agentura Koniklec a Masarykova univerzita, 2013. 132 pp. ISBN 978-80-904141-0-5. info
- The failure of environmental education (and how we can fix it). Edited by Charles Saylan - Daniel T. Blumstein. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2011. xii, 241 p. ISBN 9780520948723. info
- recommended literature
- ČINČERA, Jan. Environmentální výchova : od cílů k prostředkům. Brno: Paido, 2007. 116 s. ISBN 9788073151478. info
- BRAUS, Judy A. and David WOOD. Environmental education in the schools : creating a program that works! Washington: Peace corps, 1993. viii, 499. info
- ČINČERA, Jan. Střediska ekologické výchovy mezi teorií a praxí (Environmental education centers between theory and practice). Praha: BEZK, Agentura Koniklec a Masarykova univerzita, 2013. 273 pp. ISBN 978-80-210-6525-3. info
- PALMER, Joy. Environmental education in the 21st century : theory, practice, progress and promise. 1st pub. London: Routledge Falmer, 1998. xiv, 284. ISBN 0415131979. info
- Environmental education teacher resource handbook : a practical guide for K-12 environmental education. Edited by Richard J. Wilke. 1st print. Thousand Oaks: Corwin press, Inc., 1993. xi, 448 s. ISBN 0-8039-6370-X. info
- LEBLOVÁ, Eliška. Environmentální výchova v mateřské škole. Vydání první. Praha: Portál, 2012. 175 stran. ISBN 9788026200949. info
- not specified
- HORKÁ, Hana. EKOLOGICKÁ/ENVIRONMENTÁLNÍ VÝCHOVA V MATEŘSKÉ ŠKOLE (The Environmental Education .....). Praha: Verlag Dashofer, 2008. 20 pp. ISSN 1802-4130. info
- MATĚJČEK, Tomáš. Ekologická a environmentální výchova : učební text k průřezovému tématu Environmentální výchova podle Rámcového vzdělávacího programu pro základní vzdělávání. 1. vyd. Praha: Nakladatelství České geografické společnosti, 2007. 50 s. ISBN 9788086034720. info
- Teaching methods
- Interactive lectures with demonstrations of environmental education activities; assessment of an environmental education program, mandatory reading, assignment, residential course, program analysis, teamwork.
- Assessment methods
- Evaluation will be carried as a sum of points from students' on-going and final assessment. For the on-going work, students may get points for their participation on regular lessons, an outdoor workshop, and for on-going assignments. For the final work, students prepare presentations and essays with an analysis of an observed environmental education program and a paper or monography review.
A 50 and more
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/spring2020/ENSb1203