FSS:ESSn4004 Energy Policy of the EU - Course Information
ESSn4004 Energy Policy of the European UnionFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 8 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. et Mgr. Veronika Zapletalová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Filip Černoch, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Filip Černoch, Ph.D.
Department of International Relations and European Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Olga Cídlová, DiS.
Supplier department: Department of International Relations and European Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
- Thu 8:00–9:40 P24
- ! ESS404 Energy Policy of the EU && ! NOW ( ESS404 Energy Policy of the EU )
Essentials of the EU studies (decision-making in the EU, institutions, politics), essential of energy studies (gas and electricity market institutions and actors).
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Energy Security Studies (Eng.) (programme FSS, N-MS)
- Course objectives
- The course intends to familiarize the students with the matter of European Energy Policy. This policy is one among the most rapidly developing EU areas, with crucial impacts on the energy sectors and consequently economies of the Members States. Also it is a good example of how the European institutions obtain gradually more extensive power over the performance of the national (energy) sectors. The general aim of the course is to show where the trade-offs between the European and national energy policies are. The course focuses on the main three dimensions of European Energy Policy. Firstly, the issue of internal energy market is developed. Students will be acquainted with the general structure of this market, about how it is organized, what players are involved, and what conflicts are underway here. This is followed by the issue of environmental dimension of energy, with an analysis of the EU´s system of emission trading as the flagship of the worlds fight against the global warming. Last part of the course is dedicated to the topical issue of external energy security, including application of general theories on several case studies.
- Learning outcomes
- Students will be introduced to the main theoretical concepts, actors, historical development and actual problems in all these three dimensions. Finishing the course they will be able to analyze relevant issues having proper analytical tools and valid data.
- Course Structure • Historical Development of European Energy Policy (EEP): ECSC, Euratom, Energy Crises in the 1970s, Beginnings of the Environmental Policy and Liberalisation of the Market in the 1980s and the 1990s, the Latest Development • Liberalization of the Common Energy Market: Liberalisation Packages, Unbundling, Interconnectors and Fusion of the Fragmented Markets of the Member States, Clashes Between European Commission and the Member States • Environmental Dimension of EEP: Carbon Tax, EU ETS, EU Climate Policy Efficiency and Expenses • External Energy Relations of the EU: European Added Value, Bilateral, Multilateral And Global Dimension of European External Energy Policy • National Energy Policies of Selected Countries and Mechanisms of Functioning of the EEP: Key Actors, Relations And Cleavages, Energy Policies of Selected EU Countries
- recommended literature
- BUCHAN, David. Energy and climate change : Europe at the cross roads. 1st ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009. xiv, 218. ISBN 9780199569908. info
- not specified
- TALUS, Kim. Introduction to EU energy law. First edition published. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016. x, 180. ISBN 9780198791829. info
- TALUS, Kim. EU energy law and policy : a critical account. Edited by Thomas W. Waelde. First edition. Oxford: Oxford university press, 2013. xxiii, 317. ISBN 9780199686391. info
- Teaching methods
- Lessons/seminars, workshop
- Assessment methods
- Seminal paper, written exam
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/autumn2019/ESSn4004